1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cobalt flats D broke on installation

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Odonian, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Odonian

Odonian

Feb 16, 2016
    Tacoma
    I ordered a set of the EB cobalt flats, they arrived yesterday and I was inatalling them just now and the D string broke as I was tuning it to pitch. I installed it the same way I always do, I've been trying out strings like crazy lately and having never had this happen before I am suspecting a faulty string. I already fired off an email to EB explaining what happened and asking if it was common etc. Not much of a point to this thread I suppose, just kinda frustrated and bummed.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Did you follow the specific instructions for the cobalt flats included in the packet?

3. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    May I ask what these are, just out of curiosity?

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Don't have a pic handy but they want you to loop the string around half the tuning post before going completely around

Also I have found on some basses specifically music man's they can cut through strings.

5. Odonian

Odonian

Feb 16, 2016
    Tacoma
    I did not do the second wrap through the post, because i arrogantly thought "I know how to install my bass strings!" and didn't even look at the instructions till after the string broke. Which is why I specifically asked in my email to EB if they knew what went wrong, if it broke cus I'm an impatient knuckle head I will totally accept that.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  6. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    Hmm I thought that this is a standard procedure for everybody. This way you can completely control the stretch of the string as it wraps around the post.

I doubt that the string would brake just like that if you wrap it around completely around though.

I guess it depends where exactly the string broke. If it did indeed brake right next to the post then it might indeed be the case. Hardly likely though.

I simply suspect a faulty string. If the g string didn't break when pitched and was installed the same way as the d string was, then it is highly unlikely that wrong looping was the cause of it.

Anyways, a non faulty string shouldn't break like that. It hasn't even stretched properly yet.

7. Odonian

Odonian

Feb 16, 2016
    Tacoma
    I actually hadn't had the second wrap through the post recommended to me before. I will hafta look into potential benefits of stringing this way.

8. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Isn't that full wrap around half of the post done to prevent slipping, and not to prevent breaking?

If anything, it adds two additional sharp bends in the string.

-

jd56hawk, gln1955, 40Hz and 4 others like this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I broke a D string that way as have many others. The evidence would suggest it's a design or manufacturing flaw. Ernie Ball has been good about sending replacements but it would be nice if they stopped making them whatever way they're making them that's causing the problem.

10. Odonian

Odonian

Feb 16, 2016
    Tacoma
    I actually read a couple reviews stating this. I played a 70s fakenbacker for years that had a messed up neck that would break D strings if you looked at em funny, because of this experience I thought the strings would be worth a shot still.

11. Nomad5

Nomad5 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    EB is pretty good at support. I'd just contact them - likely a defect. I've been using cobalt flats for about 18 months and love 'em. Note: I do change them more frequently than most "flats" players. I need a little zing for what I'm playing :)

Cheers

Odonian likes this.
  12. Here goes another one. What else is new? :whistle:

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  13. Odonian

Odonian

Feb 16, 2016
    Tacoma
    Is it THAT common? As i said, I'd read a couple reviews that stated it happening but don't usually go all in on string reviews, just trying em usually yields better results.

14. Fluid Power

Fluid Power Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Land of 10K Lakes
    I've installed 4 sets of EB / CF lights. 2 the normal way and 2 the way they show on the instruction sheet in the package. So far no problem but I do typically run multiple raps on the peg.

15. Fluid Power

Fluid Power Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Land of 10K Lakes
    And I did have some slight slipping at first on one set installed the typical way.

16. Common enough for me to be completely turned off by Ernie Ball as a company.

I don't care how good their customer service is, bass strings shouldn't break the way these Cobalt Flats keep doing, as far as I'm concerned.

jd56hawk likes this.
  17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Definitely need to follow the instructions on the packaging about the extra wrap.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  18. The very first time I saw the instructions back when they were still fairly new in the market, I knew right away they wouldn't be for me.

Thanks but no thanks.

jd56hawk likes this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Banned

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I am totally clueless about this extra bit of instructions, and I've taken my Cobalt Flats on & off for switching amongst basses more than a couple of times w/o problems.

20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Because you have to do an extra loop? it's pretty easy and only requires another 8-10 cranks on the tuner. The end result is a set of flats that brings in a lot of the benefits of both flats and rounds.

BornAgainBass likes this.