Cobalts = RUST

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MikeD50, Jul 18, 2020.

1. MikeD50

MikeD50

Jun 25, 2018
    I’ve been using Cobalts since last fall. Loved the aggressive growly tone. Two sets No problems. With the third set they rusted out after just 3 weeks! I quickly ordered another set and contacted EB who sent me two free sets.

Changed them this past Wednesday night. After just 72hrs the D and G strings are starting to show signs of rust!! I can’t believe this is happening again!

I keep my studio at a steady 71-74* and 60% humidity. I’m careful to wipe my strings down after each practice. (Every night).

EB definitely has a QC issue with these strings. After reading all the random posts about them and going through two sets without problems I thought I was free and clear. Not anymore.

I’ve decided to go back to DRs. Had a new set of LoRiders laying around and just put them on. Problem solved. Too bad.

Aidil and tindrum like this.
  2. Fragile Thunder

Fragile Thunder self-proclaimed Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Central NY
    That's too bad. I had a G&L with Cobalt flats on it and it sounded great. I bought a couple sets for my other basses and had the G string break twice. Ernie Ball was great about replace it but I haven't been able to get my P bass strung eith them without them breaking. I really liked the tone, too.

3. MikeD50

MikeD50

Jun 25, 2018
    Don’t get me wrong. The tone is awesome. But two straight sets of rusted strings? One in 3 weeks. The other in just 3 days? That’s nuts! I’m done with them.

4. I’m not trying to change your mind. For whatever reason, their strings have changed. But if you really love the strings, try using some brand of string cleaner after you play, instead of just ‘wiping them down’. Maybe you could go back to using them again.

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Good info, man. Thanks.

The Cobalt Flats are expensive here on the other side of the globe from where they're being manufactured. The uncertainty of the build quality which could be read from quite a few posts like yours makes me reluctant to try.

Also since strings need to be imported here by distributors which took months before being sold by dealers, and not to mention that our climate is 80% humid all year long, I don't think we're going to get any replacement like you folks over there when they get rust.

6. MikeD50

MikeD50

Jun 25, 2018
    I do wipe them down after every use have been using string cleaner however after just 3 days with this latest set there’s not much that can be done....

I had a set of LoRiders that i just installed.

Guild B301 likes this.
  7. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    I Have a replace of Cobalt....I consider these one of my expensive buy and I hope these are long lasting. If good tones but brutal decay are on the trash....

8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    I got a Warwick Streamer in a trade a little while ago. My buddy set it up and put a new set of Cobalts on the bass. It has been on a stand in my music room (a climate controlled bedroom in my house) or in the flight case it came in that I use for storage in the same room. It has never even left the house except for that first setup.

We went out of town about a month ago, and I put all my basses in their cases and away in that closet. I just took the Warwick out and the strings are completely rusted like I left them outside in the rain. I have never had a string remotely do this, and this was in the case in a bedroom closet.

61766832732__01333B9A-F024-45C4-B793-B9A8C614B855.JPG 61766833849__46B5F793-D0E4-4776-83D1-773032ACAE68.JPG

Mili, mikewalker and Aidil like this.
  9. Yesnikh4003

Yesnikh4003

Jul 28, 2020

10. Yesnikh4003

Yesnikh4003

Jul 28, 2020
    I just had the A string of a set of cobalt flats go dead after about 2 weeks of having it on my 4003, played one practice with the band and maybe 5 total hours at home. Something funky has happened with that cobalt material... i used to play the cobalt rounds, then switched to flats. I agree that QC must be an afterthought at this point.

11. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    This was definitely my first and last pair. I just emailed Ernie Ball. We'll see.

Guild B301 likes this.
  12. Yesnikh4003

Yesnikh4003

Jul 28, 2020
    Good luck man!

13. I’m hoping this is just one bad batch of strings that have been discussed lately. Ernie Ball has a problem.

14. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    poopie, I just noticed the new tuners have completely rusted screws. They are only 2 months old and have never left the house. There is no dampness in the closet nor case and all the other basses are fine. I'm at a complete loss. Those screws were black when I put the bass in the case on June 18 (the day before we left for vacation).

61768026574__69697FAA-B4CE-4460-8001-70ACA43A224A.JPG

15. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Those poor tuners were locked in that case with those rust promoting strings. Even the Washers on the side got rusty. Or maybe theirs a high humidity in that closet but I guess other basses would show signs of rust too.

16. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I live in New Orleans, so there is high humidity. That being said, all the other basses are just fine. I just talked to a tech friend, and all he can think is it had to be something with the strings. I checked the battery compartment, the electronics are working and there was nothing else in the case. I even checked the corners of the closet for any dampness, etc. Nothing.

FunkHead likes this.
  17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    With so many cases of these strings rusting, It's got to be something with the chemical compound or maybe they are not completely drying/cleaning the metal after manufacturing....
    I have some Cobalt flats that are not rusting so far. I have had them on my bass for about 45 days. Ernie Ball will eventually solve the mystery for us.

18. Yesnikh4003

Yesnikh4003

Jul 28, 2020
    Cobalt is an abundant and hard metal. It is brittle and very magnetic, comparatively(concerning other steels). Makes sense that it would gonutty in an atmosphere such as NOLA. Your screwheads and other hardwares are a source of your environment. I'm from Sulphur, LA. That weather'll ruin your stuff.

19. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Acid rain? Acid dew? :eek:

20. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Still, every other bass is fine. It has to be the strings triggered the other stuff. I'm taking it to Strange Guitarworks (awesome repair shop in New Orleans) tomorrow to take a look at it.

mikewalker likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021