Cobalts = RUST

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MikeD50, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I think it's also dependent on the alloy in your fret-wire as well.
    Cobalt flats on my SR eXtreme (SRX) rusted right at the frets.

The Cobalt rounds I have now have been on both my SR1800E & a GSR100EX & have not rusted.

2. Yesnikh4003

Yesnikh4003

Jul 28, 2020
    Rust don't make other metal rust. You might just got some pretty low quality bass parts/strings.
    Low quality metal'll rust down there asap, trust me bud. Couldn't keep steel banjo strings to save my life. Bass strings were a matter of me keepin them cleaned and cased 24/7. That Dunlop 3-part string kit saved my skin.

3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Wow,that’s crazy! I’ve never seen anything like that

NOLA Bass likes this.
  4. Bob E

Bob E

Nov 18, 2012
    Michigan
    Dang, I just ordered some cobalts. All the broken and rusted reviews i read seemed to be from about 5 years ago. I was hoping they had the problems solved by now :banghead:

5. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    I believe the culprit to be the case. Some cases outgas, and some hold moisture. For example, Rickenbacker SKB plastic cases are known for outgassing, and if the guitar is kept closed in the case for a number of years when you open it up the finish will be sticky from the outgassing eating away at the finish, which is unrepairable.

I would bet the flight case in question here may seem dry, but it seems obvious it is acting like a giant humidor and when the bass is kept in the case-in the closet of all places-IN NEW ORLEANS-during the summer(!!!)-you are asking for trouble.

If you left the house with no air conditioning on in the summer heat of New Orleans, I'm surprised this would be the only bass that had ill effects. Since that's the case (no pun intended), I believe the case is holding some moisture that is being exacerbated by heat, humidity, and lack of airflow.

HaphAsSard and Yesnikh4003 like this.
  6. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    Those
    I think you are right. It must have been something about this flight case vs all my other standard cases and bags. Even when we left town for 10 days, we kept AC running. Otherwise, the whole house would probably mildew.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  7. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Was there the wood discoloration by the knob already before?

8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    Yes, that happened with a previous owner.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021