Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cochlear implants and music.... ITS SCIENCE!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Very interesting. I hope this science continues to advance.

And good god, poor guy only listens to one piece of music in his whole life . . . . I can't understand that.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    he said it is the only song that has ever sounded musical to him... because he was born with messed up hearing already, and something about that song makes it easy for him to decipher.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Pretty neat, I wonder what applications technology like that could have for someone with good hearing.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    A couple of years ago I saw a young boy(about 9 or 10)with what looked like a metal bolt sticking out of his head.I asked the woman that was with him(I found out it was his Mother)about it and she informed me that it was a hearing aid and that it was also an experiment(similar to what is described in the link).

6. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Very interesting... truly we live in an age of 'magic'. This is just one facet of our larger program to understand, engineer and improve the human body. Machines are one half; our extended understanding of genetics and embryonic development are the other, and I would expect the regrowth of natural hearing mechanisms to not be far off either.