Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cocky drummer problem

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassman1185, Mar 27, 2001.

1. My friend (who happens to be a drummer) and I are having a discussion/argument/fistfight on who is better, drummers or bassists. If you have any good drummer jokes post them here, or if you really want to help, go to www.38thparallel.org/messageboard.htm and support me and bassists around the world by clicking on "Lotto" and backing me up. Thanks.

2. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I don't think you can argue over who is "better". Drummers and bassists are supposed to be intimately connected (ehh...not THAT kind of intimate though).

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    "Drums aren't even a musical instrument. <snip> They're more like an appliance than anything actually musical."

Heh, say that to Terry Bozzio while looking him in the eyes... :rolleyes:

Ya ain't got no support from me, boy. :p

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Cornbread and Oysterman are right - drummers and bassists shouldn't argue over such petty things. (and combine forces against the greater enemy - guitarists! ;)) However, it doesn't do any harm to keep an over-confident percussionist in check now and then - just kick him in the balls. :D

5. Hey...im a drummer, and i play bass... does that mean that i am better than myself??? Drums are not musical instruments??? only appliances?? I beg to differ my friend...You sit down on the "chair" and hit things with sticks and try to keep the groove and everyone together. Like any instrument, bass, drums or whatever there is a lot to learn, and a lot of practice to be good at it.
    The one thing i really like on bass over drums, is that it sure is a lot quicker to pack up a bass.
    eddie

ps those drummer jokes... you can also substitute bassist, guitarist, vocalist etc. into them.

6. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I have to give drummers credit. They aren't easy (for me) to play. But then again, drummers don't have to think about melody, harmony, chords, etc. All they have to do is pound out a rhythm.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Drumsticks are for turkeys.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I haven't seen anything this silly since the ol' "I pushed my volume and tone controls into the cavity and put black tape over 'em" thing. Bassman, I'd say you've got a leeeetle too much time on your hands.

9. dheat

dheat

Feb 5, 2000
    Asheville
    What did the drummer get on his IQ test?

...Saliva.

10. what has 3 legs and a piece of **** on top of it??

a drum stool.....

11. Azel

Azel

Mar 28, 2001
    England
    What's the difference between a drummer and a pig?
    A pig won't stay up until five in the morning to **** another pig.

Look at Road Trippin' by the Chilli Peppers. No drums there! Plenty o' bass though.

yawnsie is right though, we should be united against the evil lead guitarists in the world.

12. Oh you know i posted, oh i sooo did! lol. If only they had a look at some of my other posts here on TB.

I'll leave the tacky jokes to the others, just be warned, i have said my bit and may be forced to go back there and do some more. Muhahahahahaaaa ddduuurrrrrr......

Merls

*wanders off muttering* "Where's my saucepan so i can bang a chopstick against it, the band did say i need to practice dwwums"

13. >>>drummers don't have to think about melody, harmony, chords, etc. All they have to do is pound out a rhythm.<<<

That is it huh??? Just pound out a rhythem eh..well maybe to the bands you listen to, but if you really want to play for the song and not your ego, you need to think about melody, harmony, chords, cord changes, tempo, dynamics, vocals, along with "pounding out the rythem"... Im sure that is all Buddy Rich, Gene Kruppa, and many others did.

I did not realize there was such a disrespect for drummers,
    perhaps I came to the wrong message board for my bass playing advice.
    eddie

14. that's one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And all bass players have to do is to play root notes. Right?

16. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Ok, I'll take it back. I guess I meant that drummers don't play different notes on the drums.
    And basseddie, maybe I need to be enlightened about what drummers do. I know they need to be aware of changes, but to what extent?

17. And why aren't we posting this up in the 38th parallel forum heh? heh? i'm off there now, long live root note bassists huh Oysterman!? lol :D

Merls

18. Ummm...from my understanding, drums are still tuned to notes...one drummer/bassist/bass oboist(or whichever instrument it is. :p) smacked one of the toms at the talent show before the audience was let in, and he just said "This drum set is out of tune. Anyone know where the tuning key is?"

19. Mark Russell

Mark Russell

Sep 2, 2000
    Oi, Cornbread, what kind of musician are you if you don't know what drummers do? How about that wonderful thing called 'feel'? Ever wondered how a performance can be exciting, move you to want to dance? It seems to me you are one of many players who are not musicians, you just play the notes with no feel or expression, like a little box of electronics...bet you don't play fretless very well either....and yes, I am a drummer, and bass player, and I've done session work with both, so crawl back under your rock and shut up until you know what you're talking about, OK? If you wanna learn, listen to any live recording of Genesis or Rush or Toto or Level 42 etc and listen to what the drummer's doing, and DO pay attention 007!!

20. OK, OK, now I feel stupid. I don't really care who is better, but i was mostly just trying to tick this guy off. You'd have to know him. He gets really defensive if you say anything about drums that isn't a compliment. We were just doing this to have a little fun.