Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cocobolo and finish incompatability

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JDGA fan, Jan 24, 2005.

1. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    I have a bass that has a gloss finish (polyester I think) over cocobolo facings. When the bass is left over time the finish gets a misting or fogging effect that can be wiped/polished off, yet it always comes back. Can anyone explain what is causing this and whether there is a permanent remedy? I had the bass refinished some years back, but it still does this even now. Was the cocobolo too green when the bass was made or is this a common problem with cocobolo? Thanks.

2. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Hard to say. It may be oxidizing. Sounds like what cheap enamal car finishes do. You can usually bring up the shine again but it will dull again. Only real solution is to start over.

3. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    Re: starting over, yeah, that's what I thought when I had it refinished, but the refinish does the same thing that the original finish does, and the refin was actually done by a different guy, coz I was so ticked at the maker. Sorry, that may not have been clear from the original post.