Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cocobolo body...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by funkytweed, Sep 18, 2005.

1. funkytweed

funkytweed

Aug 11, 2005
    i was just wondering if anyone had any input on how a cocobolo body would sound i can already tell its going to be heavy. its going to be part of my fretless 5 string im building, the body of course is cocobolo with a purpleheart accent lam. and a bookmatched coco bolo lam. the neck is going to be pau ferro with with a purpleheart stripe and ebony fingerboard. the head stock is going to match the body with the purpleheart and cocobolo lams. ill post pics in a few weeks.

hopefully it turns out well this is my first. :bassist:

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    All I can say is good luck. I guess if you contour it right you can cut down on the weight factor, though you'd have to leave room for electronics. Yeah, all I can say is good luck. That should be a spectacular piece when it's done!

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Geez, that will be a tad on the heavy side. Personally, I'd chamber it. Also, I'm pretty sure cocobolo dust is toxic, so be sure to wear a respirator, or at the very least, a fine particle dust mask. I love the look of the wood though. Post some pics when you can! :smug:

*imagine an all-cocobolo bass*

4. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Is it even possible to get cocobolo pieces that large? Otherwise, all I can say is:

+1 on the chambering, and get a second spine put in.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Maybe you can have some carbon fiber reinforment rods put in- - your back! ;) :D

Those are all beautiful and very heavy woods, but you already know that. Enjoy your build!

6. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    For an EUB, weight, since it's on a stand (or endpin), isn't as much of an issue. Who knows? Maybe an EUB made entirely of cocobolo would be fantastic.

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    That's going to be more than heavy. The lightest weight wood you've got in there is the pau ferro with a SG of just a shade under 1. I can't really see any reason to do it except to jam pack a bass with exotics. Yes, you could chamber it but then you'll end up with 2 pounds of cocobolo shavings on the floor and a very unhappy router/bit.

It should not be too terribly hard to find a piece of 8/4 cocobolo 7" wide.

Cocobolo is not toxic, per se, but it is a sensitizer, meaning most people are allergic to different degrees to the stuff, and for many it gets worse the more you are exposed to it. Some people have very adverse reactions, so be careful.

8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    If I recall correctly, Driskill made a guitar with a cocobolo body, he's got a lot of pics on his site, you should check it out.

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'd say forgetaboutit. It would be uncomfortably heavy.
    Go with some lighter woods instead, and use a cocobolo top, if you really want the aesthetics part.

10. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yeah it would insanely heavy. Like two Panzer tanks heavy. :D

Not to mention the $$$$$$$ for cocobolo.... :eek:

Oog

11. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    If you go ahead and do all cocobolo, make sure you have a good router AND router bit if you're going to hollow it out. I recently made a strat body that was about 1 &1/4" thick cocobolo with a flame maple top. The body was a pain to route out, and my router bit hated me. I ended up borrowing my buddies variable speed BOSCH router and that made a world of difference.
    Since this is your first, why not simplify?? You can always get 'crazy exotic' further down the line....
    but then again, prove us wrong! I'd (we'd) love to see pics of the finished result!

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah. Even bubinga pommelé likes to break bits, and it's not as hard as cocobolo.

Is this your first? Then I'd not do it.
    As my first one I'm doing a simple figured bubinga top/swamp ash back, and even something this simple is not quite turning out as easy as it should be...