Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Cocobolo Queen" Getting Ready for Coronation Ceremony

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Nov 13, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

For all the DPCustom-heads;

It's not finished yet - wooden pickup covers have yet to be made and Dave found some buzzes that require additional fret dressing.

But my"Cocobolo Queen" is just about a week from being ready for pick-up - (gold knobs will be replaced by wooden knobs since Dave doesn't do wooden knobs any longer).

Hopefully, all the "metalheads" hate it. :D

Pic from Dave's website -

[​IMG]

2. that figuring is awesome.

what wood is the fingerboard and what kind of pups are you putting in?

3. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Stunning.

4. rickbass

And, unfortunately, expensive, too, linebacker. That was the last board the wood dealer had of exhibition grade Nicaraguan cocobolo and I had to bid on it against pro bass luthiers ($150 did it).

That was a real trip!!! I found a dealer with a log of quilted cocobolo. 5 minutes before Dave called the dealer up at my request to get a board, Alembic came in and bought the entire log.

So, I phoned the dealer and asked, "Well, what do I do now???" He said he just got a log of fiddleback mirindiba (a.k.a. yellow sanders) found by Amerisan Indians on the floor of the Brazilian rainforest, (incredibly rare).
    This wood dealer knows bass guitars, said it would make a wonderful fretboard, so I jumped on it.

Dave graciously sent a sample to me after I bought it. The side Dave sanded was as smooth, dense, and hard as glass. The only problem was the wood looks seasick yellow with grey streaks. So Dave used a chemical process on it for a decent additional cost that wouldn't wear out like a stain or dye, to bring out the fiddleback figure. Pics I put up later should display the figure better.

This is the best I have for now showing the wood as it arrived from the rainforest and what it looks like without the fleur-de-lis inlay after Dave's chemical process (but it still doesn't do anywhere near justice because the figure on the sample I have actually refracts lighting depending on how the wood is turned; like one of those pencil sharpeners for kids that displays a different picture depending on how you turn it!!!)
    -

[​IMG]

The bridge pup is an Alnico V MM pup that Basslines made in their Custom Shop w/their MM preamp + slap circuit.
    The soapbar is a 4-coil Bart.....one for beauty and warmth, one for destruction and madness

5. well congrats again on your bass.
    hopefully all the hard work will be worth it in the end.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Wow! That's a beauty, rick. Is the body solid cocobolo, or is it just the top? And I forget, what is the neck made of?

7. rickbass

Thank you. Props from fellow bassists are the best props of all!!!

8. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Well Rick, you know my stance on how your bass looks....GORGEOUS.:)

I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Take care.

Alex

9. rickbass

Hi, Richard.........(fellow vet bassist!)

The back is California claro walnut burl, about 300 years old. The pic below is an old pic that doesn't do justice. But until Jeff Rader comes back from his business trip to put the latest pics up on my online photo album, these pics will have to do
    -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The admirable thing Dave did was that I spec'd a cavity cover for the 18V preamp which kept the wood figure contiguous and wrapped around the side so it "disappeared" as much as possible into the back of the bass, like an Elrick......but BETTER than Rob Elrick ever did it.

The neck is another ringer. Dave just happened to stumble on some rock maple that has birdseye AND quilted figure. The center is purpleheart. For my money, a great neck for a rock n' roll bass is purpleheart and rock maple.

From the pic (shown below) I think Dave exhibited great skill for the cavity cover and keeping the figure contiguous.....an art he hasn't been asked to execute before
    -

[​IMG]

But, looks aside, you know after all these years between us ---- the proof is all in the sound.

10. rickbass

Well, thanks for telling me it showed up on Dave's website, Red!!! I would have never known otherwise.

I don't whether to get pluck it or get a knife and fork and just start eating it :confused:

Then again, maybe more hotties with the low-slung jeans that expose their tattoed cracks will hit on me more!! :D ............"Awww, meesoh awny, lemme see yo wood agin, boi!!!"

11. um, that bass looks freaking awesome.

12. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL

I think you might be just a bit too optimistic there, Rick:D

That claro is nice too...it looks like chocolate.

Alex

13. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Front back top bottom sides up down - any way you look at it, that bass is stunning! I really like the body shape too, especially the horns. Is that your personal design?

And by Dave, I assume you mean Dave Pushic?

Can't wait to see it with the pup covers. If that control cavity cover is any indication, they should look great! I love matching wood pup covers.

14. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Are the pup covers going to be out of that same coco, Rick?

And to answer a question for Rick, yeah, it's a Pushic.

Alex

15. rickbass

Funk - Your question is something I would only expect from an intelligent bassist, (like yourself), to have.....to realize the signifcance of it.

Yes - it is a centuries-old design used on bass instruments to represent the bass clef -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the reasons it took me literally months to design this bass was to find harmony among function, visual art, and the heritage of our chosen instrument.

All that "artistic" pleasantry aside, I fully intend to damage peoples' tympanic nerves and cripple the knee joints of children with this thing.

16. rickbass

Nothing but coco......coco all the way!!!!

Thanks for taking care of the "answer" in all sincerity. I should have mentioned "Pushic" instead of assuming that everyone knew what a "DPCustom" is.

17. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    No problem.

I never noticed that about the design. Something about it was catching my eye but I couldn't put my finger on it....who knew it would be as simple as looking at a bass clef:)

Alex

18. I consider myself a metalhead, and I dig it!

Sorry to ruin it for you. ;) :D

That bass certainly looks awesome. I can't wait for the full review.

19. rickbass

Dayumm, Da5id!!!! You're breaking the mold....you all are supposed to only like black, Goth, plastic-y looking things with names likes "Satan's Sperm Bass" or "Warlock Widow's Funeral" and the B string sounds instiinguishable from the G!!!

Thanks!!!

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rick,

I call 'dibs' when you get tired of it!:D

Congratulations, man. That is the best looking DP yet, and one of the prettiest basses I have ever seen. If it plays and sounds like it looks, it will be a monster!