Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Codas?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by stephanie, Jul 8, 2001.

1. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me: I just finished my very first composition :) and am trying to write it out. (It's a solo piece btw).

Anyway, there is a part in the work that repeats after a while (goes back to the beginning). I've read the definitions of "coda", "D.S al coda", etc. but I don't understand how to write them out onto my paper. I've tried to look for examples in my bass books and sheet music I have, but it still confuses me. I know it's hard to explain without showing you what I'm writing, but any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,

~Stephanie

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think you should just write the coda at the bottom of the page, or the last page if you have several pages..

3. Well, I have a font that has all of these symbols in it, but I don't know how to change the font here in these posts so I'll assume you know the symbols for coda (basically a 0 with a + overlaid on it) and S (The letter S with a % overlaid).

Put the S at the first measure you want repeated.

Then put the Coda at the last measure you want repeated. This is a signal to jump to a coda, or ending section.

At the end of the last measure BEFORE the player jumps back to the repeated section, put D.S. al Coda (only use the symbol for the Coda here, not the S in D.S.)

Finally, you need to identify the ending section with the Coda symbol so the player knows where to go after the repeated portion.

I hope this helps somewhat. If not, feel free to tell me I'm an idiot. :D

BTW, congrats! First composition is always a bit of a thrill.

4. Or... if you don't have a coda....

Put the words D.C. al Fine after the last measure. This means to go back to the beginning and play until you see the word Fine.

Example (if it had verses and a chorus).

Write down the chorus, and put the fine after the chorus, if that's where you want to end the whole song. Then write down the verse, followed by a D.C. al Fine after that.

How this works would be you would play through the chorus and the verse, and then play the chorus one more time and then end.

But this is if you don't have a coda, so if you do, call me an idiot instead of cafepurgatory :D.

lowtones

5. Why would she call you cafepurgatory? ;) :D

6. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Heh..thanks guys. I think I got it. :). I was looking over what I wrote today and it's pretty much how you explained it (with the codas, etc.) Lessee...instead of just the Coda symbol (at the last measure I want repeated) I have "To Coda" and the symbol. I guess that's Ok, right? And so when you see the "D.S al Coda" that means to go back to where you see the S?

Thanks again..and yeah it's a great thrill to have my first piece written. (Took long enough :p LOL)

Cheers,

~Stephanie

7. Yes.
    Exactly. :)

A Coda is simply an ending.

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey i think a saw a program at www.download.com that can help you with this! You can do all your music on it and it has all the symbals you would ever need! Sorry i cant recall the name of it for you! But it was a free download!