'coffee table basses'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ahpook, Jun 17, 2002.

1. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    does anyone else out there prefer a nice painted bass rather than natural ones ?

not that i've anything against a nice bit of timber, but those 'highly figured' tops just make me think of expensive coffee tables.......
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm just as happy looking at a nice Lake Placid Blue Jazz Bass as I am with my burled elm topped 8 string. Eevery bass is beautiful. :D
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    But Lake Placid Blue is beautiful and very popular as evidenced by the recent "Classic Fender Colors" thread.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Paint is prefereable to me over a dull-looking/ugly wood such as poplar, alder, et al, with a natural or stained finish.

The exotic and figured woods look great to me when you take the bass out of the case. But under colored lights onstage, something like a painted, plain white, bass is hard to beat for cosmetics.

One of the most tasteless I've ever seen was being offered at Carvin's "In Stock" instruments - a California claro walnut body stained sapphire blue :confused:
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, I just used LPB as an example. Any solid color, done right, looks great.

One of the nicest basses I have ever seen was a fretless Curbow Starbass with a pearl white finish.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rick, where's that Walnut/Blue monstrosity? I couldn't find it....
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The story gets even stranger, Brendan - either Carvin refinished it and made into something more desirable or (gasp!) someone bought it!!! :eek:

I saw it there last November when Carvin was offering me any bass I wanted as a replacement for a defective one I had. Sometime in Dec., it no longer showed up on their "In Stock" page :confused:

We'll probably see it on eBay one of these days when the owner's medication is changed or their vision is restored.
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    No laquer on wood, thank you. Laquer suffocates it.
    Wood is always prettier and more exciting than any paint.
    So if I want paint finish, I buy composite bass.
  9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I like Sunburst finishes, which is sort of both I guess.
  10. I must admit I'm not a great fan of woods, I'm not keen on burls or spalts. But I do like quilted maple big time!!! Figured maple is also OK, but I haven't really taken to flamed maple.

Bit I'm not keen on them naturally - I like a splash of colour. I think my favourite finishes were both on the Sadowsky website. One was quilted maple in butterscotch, one was a quilted maple in Cherryburst!!!
  11. It really doesn't matter to me that much.

Of my three active duty basses, 1 is solid black, one is sunburst (which I have grown to hate), and one is transparent blue over quilted maple, yummy!

The body I'm making is figured walnut top over ash. The ash has ok grain, but the walnut is really nice. I'm hoping the walnut stain I plan on using on the ash matches the color of the walnut top, otherwise I might have to get creative... Anyway, I'm planning to keep it natural, but who knows.
  12. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Although I have a couple of nice "natural" finish basses. I also like the solid colors. My all-time fav is Fender's Olympic White. As you can see in my avatar, it yellows over time. It always looks pretty cool though. I also like Lake Placid Blue and Candy Apple Red as well.
  13. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    One red painted bass looks like any other.

One nat finish bass where you can see the grain offers a unique personality to that bass.

Depends what look you want. I like natural basses.