COG effects T-47 dual octaver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JFLbass, Apr 23, 2017.

1. JFLbass

JFLbass

Mar 3, 2010
    Montreal
    Hi talkbass!

I'm having a problem with my T-47 and, I want to know if I'm the only one in the bass community having this problem... The pedal "clip", just like if my bass is too hot (impossible, it's all vintage Fender passive). And I did a test, if I put all the knobs to zero, I'm hearing a fuzz sound (very subtil but is there).

BTW, it's very complicated having news and details from COG, I return the pedal one time, and he returned it back to me and the problem is still there...

If The volume on my bass is halfway, The pedal works flawless... There's definitely a problem... It's not very useful...

The T-47 is probably one of the nicest creation in the octaver world! The filter is totally awesome!!!

Help please :)

ansonsti likes this.
  2. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    Subbed. I'm having the same kind of problem with my DarkGlass Super Symmetry. Except I figured it was from the 18v active preamp in my bass. Perhaps your solution will get me closer...

JFLbass likes this.
  3. JFLbass

JFLbass

Mar 3, 2010
    Montreal
    In my case, I try it with 10 basses and did it either way... usually it's from the input of the pedal... but right now COG audio just do nothing...

I had this problem with a SolidgoldFx beta... Greg (the creator of solidgoldfx) just add a resistance at the input, and everything became perfect!

For the T-47, I try to understand the problem and, I'm not suppose to be alone in that situation...

4. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    The up octave has distortion built into that part of the effect. I didn't care for that so I sold mine.

5. JFLbass

JFLbass

Mar 3, 2010
    Montreal
    I see exactly what you talking about... but it's not that kind of distorsion.... and BTW, the T-47 is octave DOWN only ;)

Thank you for sharing your experience :)

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Something is weird either in your setup or the pedal.

I don't have a T47 but I have a T-16 and had a T-65. I have had lots of experience with Tom and have enjoyed nothing but the best customer service. I also use passive pickups and fender basses and I have never had clipping issues.

So I understand - if you go bass -> T47 -> amp you get clipping and lots of noise unless your volume is at half? You have no active preamps in line? Nothing else that is boosting your signal?

I find it surprising if it went to Tom, he checked it out and it's still having the same problem.

One thing to consider - how are you powering the pedal? I have some pedals that can be a little more sensitive.

7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Tom is a super dude to work with, but he has been ma-hoooo-ssively busy this year - I would not give up on COG at all. But, Mosfed has a point: it is weird that Tom checked it out and the problem still persists. I'm anxious to see the reply to his post above.

8. JFLbass

JFLbass

Mar 3, 2010
    Montreal
    Thank you for coming in! ;)

No active, passive all the way. I try ALL kind of power, voodoo lab, one spot and a straight Boss.

Just to make sure of one thing. That's my kind of pedalboard... I'm not a beginner. I'm a top pro bass player from Montreal... did many many tour in Canada and European tour...

One thing Tom told by email is that: he change his PC board for that batch and perhaps the opamp had a problem. I sent the pedal back to him, and the pedal come back to me, just plug my 65 Jazz Bass and did a open G string and I heard the pedal clipping again. Put my volume back halfway, and the pedal track's well and was just perfect...

I finally bring the pedal to Greenwood here in Montreal and he's currently figure it out what is the problem.

9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Ok - now where in that chain do you have the T-47? By the time you are going through the BassEQ, your signal is basically "active".

Have you tried putting the T-47 first in line? It's just so weird. My COG octaves feel like they have TONS of headroom

10. JFLbass

JFLbass

Mar 3, 2010
    Montreal
    The COG will be replacing the EBS and I switch the BAss micro for a Moog MFdrive. Jsut wanted to show it's not cheap... any way, the Demeter EQ is for my acoustic bass, or for a slap modern curve EQ. There's also a mixer custom made, but, I'm not stupid... I try everything and all the options! Buffered signal, direct bass/COG/amp... the pedal clip...

Tom suggest me to put it 18 volts... my technician is currently trying that option.

I'm not necesserely trying to find a solution here on talkbass... I want to find people having the same problem... It's impossible to be The only one having that problem...

11. Just a quick question: can someone tell me the exact dimensions of this pedal? In centimeters, if possible.
    I guess the size of the enclosure is the same used by Tom for "The Chosen One", "Silversurfer", "Stormtrooper" etc.?
    Sorry to bother you guys but I can't get a reply from Tom.

EDIT: he replied, problem solved.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018

12. Have you solved?
    My t16 arrived 2 days ago and I have exactly the same problem with all my basses, three passive fender and one active musicman...

JFLbass likes this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Oohpsy...

Is Tom getting sloppy maybe(or is employing someone less competent than one might desire)?
    Is ver-stretched?
    Has changed components?

14. Tom replied, the slight distorted sound with knobs at zero is normal...

Great customer service.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  15. JFLbass

JFLbass

Mar 3, 2010
    Montreal
    The pedal is it clipping or distort with all the knob off ? Is two different thing... a very bad experience for me with COG and finally got a 3 leaf audio Octabvre mini and that pedal is PERFECT! On my board since then!

16. Only distort with all the knob off...