Cog T-16 (Version 2) - Best Octaver Ever?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassheart365, Aug 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bassheart365

Bassheart365

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    This....was absolutely worth the wait! EDIT: this is the NEW version 2 with added sub-octave volume!

Cog.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Ikkir and chris merrill like this.
  2. I sold mine and kept my OC-2 but I'm happy that you like it.
    Edit: I had the first version. So I cannot comment on the new version.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    arrowsun likes this.
  3. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    What was it about the OC-2 that the T16 didn't do? I love my OC-2 but am always looking. The OC-2 just has a punch that other octavers I've tried haven't had.

4. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Never tried one. I'm pretty happy with the Octabvre Mini right now.

arrowsun likes this.
  5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Same here - the T16 doesn't have that midrange punch of the OC-2. I tried to replace an OC-2 with a T16 for that classic soloed octave sound and it didn't quite cut it. It was lacking in volume too, even quieter than the OC-2.

I replaced it with an Octabvre Mini which nails the OC-2 sound but has tons more volume on tap. The MXR looks like it would fit the bill too, plenty of punch courtesy of that mids switch by the sounds of things!

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've owned two MXRs. They're fantastic. They do a lot of things very well. That said, if you're looking specifically for an OC-2 emulator but with a better bypass and more than unity gain on tap you might be disappointed. It can do OC-2'ish sounds, but it doesn't really nail that OC-2 "thing" to my ears. Again, very cool pedal, just not one that's an OC-2 replicator.

7. Worthwhile noting that new version of the T-16 that Tom recently released (approx. 4 weeks ago) and that the OP probably has is supposedly to have more output volume on tap for the sub octave compared to the previous version. I believe this is the only change.

I have recently added the new version of the T-16 to my board and I am a very happy camper. I think it sounds fantastic and with my setup I don't miss any midrange or sub octave volume. I haven't played the previous model of the T-16 though so can't comment on the sub octave volume difference.

Ikkir and arrowsun like this.
  8. chris merrill

chris merrill Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist for: GHS Strings, Lakland Basses
    T-16 completely replaced the OC-2 for
    Me. No looking back.

piggywiddle, Ikkir and Bassheart365 like this.
  9. Bassheart365

Bassheart365

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    I just edited my original post. This is the Version 2 that came out about 4 weeks ago. Tom added more volume to the sub-octave. Also, I have an OC-2 and a 3Leaf mini Octaver. This V.2 T-16 is now my favorite!

VernRumseyIsGod and Ikkir like this.
  10. Bassheart365

Bassheart365

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    @lowerbassment You are correct Sir! I have been wanting to try the T-16 for a long time, but Tom was sold out. This one just arrived and is part of his new batch with the increase sub volume. I'm in love! And this is coming from a guy with an OC-2 AND a 3Leaf Octabvre mini! The T-16 is now the King of my board :) And so tiny and cute :)

11. Awrsum! :bassist:

So glad I couldn't afford a custom etch before. :)

Now I just need to save up my shekels for the new one, and the custom etch... :whistle:

Hmm that reminds me, I have another pedal that's waiting to be etched... :facepalm:

arrowsun and Jonny5bass like this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    At times like these, I have to remind myself that I paid $50 for an OC-2.

Randy Ward likes this.
  13. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I loved it initially, I'm....on the fence about it now? Maybe analogue octave isn't for me and my playing style, its glitches, even well above A, are annoying me and I'm finding I'm not integrating octave where I wanted to

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Depends what you expect out of an analog octaver. If you expect flawless tracking down low then perhaps you should look at a digital one. The way I use one is to set it 100% wet and play higher up (rarely below the 7th fret) so it essentially just transforms the tone of my bass.

15. Calvin Marks

Calvin Marks Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    How is the tracking? My OC-2 doesn't track well below the Bb on the A string. Turns to pure mud!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021