Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Coheed and Cambria Live DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, May 8, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Just picked this up last week, even though it's been out for almost a month now.

I really like it! One cool feature is that there's a second disc, which is an audio CD of the entire live set - you get the performance as the DVD and as a CD to listen to in your car. I wish more DVDs did that!

The live set is really good. The crowd singalong parts are awesome, and is one of the best parts of seeing them live.

(You also get all three music videos as a bonus feature, as well as some kinda lame interview/goofing off stuff.)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

3. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Actually, I'm glad you started this thread, because I had no idea the DVD was out. Earlier this year I saw that it was going to be out, but I had forgotten. After seeing your post, I went and got it. I haven't watched it all, but it is good quality and definitely worth the money. Thanks! ;)

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Incubus' dvd gives you the audio cd as well, never used it though. It's nice to have an ipod :).

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    See, if I can make a difference in -one- person's life, it was all worth while. :cool:

6. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    :p

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I love Coheed but every live clip/video I've seen or heard from him (that dvd included) Claudio was ridiculously off key. :(

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've got the DVD/CD. It's tight. I didn't notice Claudio being off key too much. Considering how much trouble I have singing along to the CDs, I can give him some lee-way in a live setting. I love the solo acoustic version of "Light and the Glass" at the end. I didn't realize Claudio was that good of a guitarist. I was really impressed (it helps that I LOVE that song to no end).

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I picked it up while I was Mother's Day shoping for my wife anf it's freaking awesome!!!!! I 've listed to it about 10x since Sunday.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Ween DVD has a CD ;)

11. I like some of the music, but I absolutely can not stand Claudio's voice, so I pass on this band.

I heard the comic he made was really good though. Did you ever read it, SuperDuck?

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, not to derail this thread, but Coheed is the first serious band to make me laugh in a long time. This Claudio guy, I see this big haired big dude come up to the mic and I'm expecting a somewhat normal voice... but my god... the worst high pitched noises come out of that guy. I watched the entire music video laughing my ass off.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Considering the whole purpose of the comic is to clarify on the Story, I would have to say that it does not do a _whole_ lot to help there. It does flesh out a lot of the characters that were mentioned briefly on the album, but it actually raises more questions than it answered, at least for me.

It's still a good comic book on the whole, however, with really good art and solid writing. Definitely worth picking up, especially if you can find it locally, so you don't have to order it and pay shipping.

14. Just ordered the Coheed DVD from Amazon.com.. along with the new Thrice CD! :cool:

15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Yeah. I'm a Rush, Judas Priest, and power metal fan and this guy's voice is waaaaaaaaaaay too cheesy for even me. I just don't get this band's appeal. :meh:

16. Well, as a fellow Rush fan, I can tell you that Coheed appealed to me on the same level that Rush did and does. I find Coheed's music to be well-written and very well-executed. Claudio's voice is a bit much sometimes, but certainly no worse than early Geddy.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You'll like it, I'm sure. Be sure to post a review of the new Thrice CD, as I am curious about it...

18. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    The new Thrice DVD/CD is ok. It succeeded in getting me excited for their new album in August. And it was really cool to see them in the "early days". Mostly because they looked a lot like my band.

I'd heard all of the songs on the CD, but they're mostly really good. The live version of "So Strange..." is great. "Eleanor Rigby" would have to be my other highlight.

19. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ahh. I saw new Thrice, and was thinking it was the album due out in August. I was about to run to Best Buy now if it was already out, but then I realized you are talkind about the DVD/CD combo. I'll agree with Justin on this one: the DVD his more impressive than the CD because it really did get me excited about Thrice again, and anxious for the new album. All live songs on the CD have at one time or another been on thier website, so that wasn't too big a thrill, and I have all the compilations the rest of the songs are on, except for the Children's Hospital benefit comp.
    Sorry for hijacking, but I am going out to get the Coheed DVD because of this thread.

20. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I hate to burst the bubble of joy but C&C is not metal. During the one live song I heard the singer ask, "Ready for some metal?" and the crowd yelled. I continued to listen for the 4 minutes the song was on and failed to hear metal of any sort. One forumer called this girlfriend metal and I agreed at the time but now I can't even distort the facts to make myself believe that it could be considered girlfriend metal. Those who throw horns at a C&C concert disapoint me.

I remember going to an All American Rejects concert with the ex and everyone was throwing the horns. I was seriously pissed. They have no right to even think about throwing the horns at an AAR concert let alone a C&C concert.