Coil-tap or active/passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RAM, Apr 3, 2003.

1. One dual-pickup coil tap and active/passive

3 vote(s)
  2. Two individual coil-taps and no active/passive

0 vote(s)
  1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I visited my Jerzy Drozd this past weekend and fell in love, all over again! What a wonderful bass!:D

Anyway...currently, the bass is the exact same bass I've shown pictures of (and would post again, but don't see the need), except that before shipping it from Spain, Jerzy added 3 switches: a 3-position mid-selector and 2 coil-taps, one for each pickup.

I asked Dan Lenard, of Luthiers Access Group, if an active/passive push-pull can be added to the volume control. The short of it is, in this particular case, no. The alternative he suggested is to make one of the coil-taps operate both pickups instead of each switch operating a single pickup. Then, the other switch can be made active-passive.

I've never had a bass with coil taps or active/passive. Any suggestions on which I should choose?
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've had both, but not together. Given the potential for hum, I can't see much reason why you'd want to coil tap one pickup but not the other. An active/passive switch is also a very handy thing, probably more useful than a coil tap to me. Since you have the option to do both, though, I'd go that way.

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Definitely coil tap and active/passive.

Coil tapping each pickup individually is useless IMO...

Peace, JP
  4. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Thanks for the info you gave in the other tread! I guess I shouldn't worry that you would get the bass home without telling us all the details about it and posting a bunch of pics and sound samples... :D

On topic now: I have no experience with coil tap, but I find the Active/passive option on my Thumb neckthrough very handy. I mostly use it in active mode (more toneshaping possibilities, more punch), but the passive mode finds its use too. I guess it would be the same for a Jerzy Drozd.

Man, you bought my dream bass! Luckily, Jerzy is quite young and will be building basses for a long time. I only don't trust the Spanish trafic... :D

If you don't mind me asking: why is it not possible yet to get the bass home? Other modifications? When will you get it?

PS: here is the pic, for those who feel the need to see it again anyway ;)

5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Man, you rawk!:D

The reason I haven't brought it home yet is because I promised both myself and my wife that it's a graduation present from me to me. I'm graduating in mid-June, and if I bring it home before then, I won't study...I'll just play this thing!

I've gone back and forth on mods...the one I posted in this thread is the only one I'm currently contemplating. I considered different preamps and even having a different one made, instead of this one. The one I almost had made would have been a cocobolo top on a mahogany core, same neck woods. But, Jerzy felt that body wings make minimal difference and I'd lose a little bit of the treble that I currently have with the zebrawood/walnut, although I'd gain a little mids. The only other thing I really wanted was the cool 2-piece bridge, but that requires a whole new bass. Last, I'd consider switching the maple knobs with ebony.

As far as other pics and sound samples, I'll have to figure that one out. Currently, I have a lousy sound card and no way to plug it in to my laptop. Also, I have no digital camera. Maybe I can at least borrow one.;)

As far as Jerzy's building goes, I'd say that it's definitely worth checking him out. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you don't trust Spanish traffic, though.:confused: