Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Coil tap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hella_Groovy, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Hey guys, finally restoring my '67 EB0, and its got the stock pup and pots, and an extra input jack drilled in it that I don't want... anyway, I'm trying to decide what to do with this,(dummy knob is out of the question) and the suggestion was made that I do a coil tap.

I don't know exactly what this is, what effect it will have on the sound, or how much modification is required. (I don't want to go any further than a new lead wire and new pots, if necessary) Any tips, suggestions, how-tos, please don'ts, or alternatives are greatly appreciated. Just no put downs about the EB0 sound, I've heard plenty. I know Warwicks probably sound great, but I like these.

Please help, This and a fret saw are all that stand between me and my bass!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

not familiar with that particular pup but from what I recall of the EBO pup I had, it was hard-wired in series - two lead with no other option.

A coil tap is built into the pup and can't be added after the fact because it is actually a third lead placed between the start and finish of the coil that literally "taps" into the coil part way which in effect only uses a portion of the coil thus altering tone. Some older pups had coil taps but they are rare in pups made these days.

What is typically referred to as a coil tap on this site is actually splitting a dual coil into singles. That is NOT a coil tap and it requires either 4 leads or the equivalent - or relative accessible solder points if it's not already wired as such.

If that pup doesn't have 3 leads that are all connected. A coil tap is not an option.

There are some very useful functions of a second jack. What purpose does that second jack in your bass serve?

3. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Thanks for the reply. I honestly have no idea what purposethe extra jack serves, that came from the previous owner, and it's been in pieces the whole time I've owned it. It does appear that a single coil pup, included with the stuff, was adhered to the body somehow (No more routing, thank goodness), so perhaps something to do with that? So will splitting the 'bucker into singles only be a matter of a little soldering? Like I said, the lead wires are gonna have to go anyhow... maybe even the pots. What kind of sound would this produce? I hear DiMarzio makes a drop-in replacement pup with 4 leads, but I'm not sure/haven't heard anything about the quality of those, so that may an option if all else fails.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    An HB has to be wired so you can split the coils. If you don't have 4 leads, or access to the begining and finish of the coils, they can't be split.

Splitting the coils will half the output and create a minor if any variation in tone. The variation will be due to the different portion of the string the pickup is sensing - the difference in the distance between magnets. The closer to the bridge the pup is the more obvious the variation will be, the futher from the bridge, the less. Splitting the coils will also likely increase noise cause they will not be humbucking in single coil mode. A more pronounced variaton would come from a series/parallel switch (which also requires 4 pickup leads) without the added noise (or less anyways - most pups become noisey with high frequencies cranked).

All popular manufacturers make good pickups - some you would like and some you wouldn't.

I'm not familiar with who makes drop-ins for the EBO but most manufacturers would state as much on their sites and most of them list pickups dimensions.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    A Dimarzio Model 1 or Model G will fit into the Gibbo rout and has 4 wires for Series HB / Parallel HB and SC options. Reputed to sound much less muddy then the Gibbo too. Both D's can usually be had cheap on eBay.

Do some experimental 'rough' wiring, decide on the configuration(s) you like, and wire it in using a pullswitch/pot combo, so no extra holes.

6. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    sounds like a plan, but some **** already put a hole in it, so I'll just use a rocker switch or somethin
    Thanks!