Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

coil tap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Can you put a coil tap switch on any pup (other than single coils) or do they have to be made in a certain way?

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I think if your pickup has only two wires, you can't do much rewiring, unless you do some very delicate soldering. If your pickup has four wires, you have many options. I'm not sure what you mean by coil tap. You can turn off either coil, or wire it out of phase, or have a series/parallel switch. These are the only ways I know of, but there are probably lots of other ways. I'm an amateur.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I was talking about a series/parallel switch.

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I would think that as long as you had four wires coming the pickup, you could put a series/parallel switch in regardless of how they are made. Every time I've put a series/parallel switch in a bass, it seems that I always used the series setting, so I stopped putting them on. The parallel setting sounded cleaner with more highs, but its output was much lower.