1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coil-tapping an inline humbucker?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stealth, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Just out of the blue, a really odd idea popped into my head recently.

Suppose you had a Jazz bass outfitted with a pair of inline humbuckers, say, a pair of Villex V2JLH or Nordstrand NJ4SVs. Has anyone ever attempted wiring them up to a four-way switch so you have the following combos:

* neck is fully voiced, bridge silent
    * neck silent, bridge is fully voiced
    * neck's treble side is voiced and bass side is silent, bridge's treble side is silent and bass side is voiced
    * bridge's treble side is voiced and bass side is silent, neck's treble side is silent and bass side is voiced

Obviously, the first two options are a standard we all know and love - however, how would the last two sound? Would the combination be humbucking in the sense a P-pup works, would it be clankier than both J-pups at full volume? What would happen?

Opinions, please.

2. Just buy an old Burns SplitSound Bass!!

:)

G.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I suppose that numbers 3 and 4 would be humbucking if the pickups are oriented properly.

4. Cernael

Cernael

Jun 28, 2008
    My guess? It'll be as though you can change between bridge and neck p'ups independently for the bass and treble strings. Say you're playng an ascending scale; it'll be as if you hit a switch to change from neck to bridge p'up (or the other way around) as you cross from the A to the D string.

The only time you'll sound in a way that's unavailable on a regularly wired J, is when you play strings on both halves of the neck at the same time...come to think of it, that might be useful when playing counterpoint, or when you want to separate the voices of a chord for some other reason.

5. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Interesting idea! It'd be cool to have two 3-way switches, one for the treble side and one for the bass side, each doing B/B+N/N.

...Although, I bet all it would do is make the bass tone inconsistent as you go between the treble and bass side as you play. It would only work for certain styles I guess, and definitely not MY style! :D

6. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I didn't think of this, that could be VERY cool. :bassist:

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You could always move your non-fretting/fingerboarding hand around instead.

8. Cernael

Cernael

Jun 28, 2008
    ^Not for simultaneous notes, you can't. The right hand can only stretch so far...