1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coil tapping

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fruitlabor, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I have a set of pickups that came out of a Tune Technology bass which has 4 color wire and 1 mesh type wire. Does this mean they can be wired to a switch somehow? How to wire them normally. I appreciate any help...thank you.

2. Almost certainly. Series/parallel/split should be all available with the right switch(es).

Not sure. There's no real standard for wire colours. But with a multimeter you can work out which is which and also wire them in phase.

If you decide to go with single coil splits, use a north coil form one pickup and a south from the other, that way you'll get a bit of hum cancelling in that setting.

bholder likes this.
  3. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    I have a multimeter but can't figure it out to determine where to put it to check. I have a guitar guy but it's crazy to keep spending money to do something I know I can if I can figure out the meter settings

4. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    Thank you for your help

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Set the meter for measuring resistance, then measure the resistance between pairs of colored wires until you sort out how they pair up - if resistance is infinite, you've got a mismatched set (one wire from each coil), the pairs that go together should measure non-0 but not infinite. If any pairs show zero resistance, there's a short. Not sure how to determine phase with the multimeter - @RobbieK - know any good tricks?

6. Set the meter to DC millivolts range and connect the probes to a pair of coil wires. Then rest a little screwdriver or something on the top of the pickup. As you pull it off you should see a little voltage. It doesn't matter whether it's negative or positive, as long as all the coils in your bass read the same.

If you skip to 7 min in this vid, you'll see me do this exact test.

To choose which coil is south and which is north, i use a cheap orienteering compass.

bholder likes this.
  7. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    This is really helpful. I'll give it a try...blessings

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Just an FYI - what you're looking to do is coil splitting, not coil tapping.

Coil tapping is having an additional output wire that is spliced part-way into a coil winding; this additional output is basically an under-wound coil, and thus will have a brighter output tone, although with a lower volume level.

The terms do often get mis-used/confused. Actual coil-tapped pickups are pretty rare.

fruitlabor and Killed_by_Death like this.
  9. Must be an American thing. I'm not sure where the OP is, but in the UK and here in Australia when a humbucker is switched to single coil, it's usually called a coil tap switch. I only heard the term "splitting" when I started writing on this board.

I hope the OP gets the pickups happening though, I'd like to know how they sound. I remember Tune basses sounded really great back in the day...

10. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    I'm in the USA and I always heard coil tapping. I have Bartolini in the bass now but I think if I can get the Tunes in with the switches might sound better.