coil taps and other passive tone options for my planned custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Jan 22, 2004.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Planning a custom Jaf bass and I would prefer to keep it passive.

Is it possible to have 2 2-way toggles on a pickup so that you can get

#1: series/parallel
    #2: single coil(neck)/single coil(bridge)

on an appropriately wired dual coil pickup? Only way I know to get all 4 on 1 switch are those undesirable looking Strat switches or rotary knobs. Would #2 need a 3 way switch so that there is a bypass mode allowing both coils to be on?

Also, is it possible to set tone knobs to do more that be a treble cut? Can you set it to cut other frequencies? I realize that it can't boost anything without a preamp.
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'd probably go with two seperate toggles. One for each pickup to select coil mode. Although if you want to do it with a single switch, I have seen toggle switches that could do both pups at once.

As for tone knob, the only realistic possibilities are low pass and high pass. Anything else is best done with an active preamp.
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    what order would I put them in?

I was thinking I would need the 3 way toggle (bridge/neck/both) before the series parallel. This wiring is way past my level.

Isn't a normal tone knob a low pass since it cuts the highs? How would I make a high pass (cut the lows)? Different sized cap on the pot?
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I loved the config on the Fender RB5, where for both neck and bridge you had a switch for series/parallel/single coil(bridge side pup)

Unless you really feel you need the ability to get single coil on both sides of the pup, I'd recommend that configuration.
  5. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    yeah, that was my fallback plan. Put the inner coils of the pickups in standard jazz position, then use them when in single coil mode. (using dual coil jazz pickups)