Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

coke vs. pop or soda

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by clef360, Sep 7, 2005.

1. As I understand it, "coke" takes the place of "soda" or "pop" in and around the south. Does this apply to non cola products as well? If so, why?

I live in California so we only use "coke" when referring to colas.

2. In my state Coke=coca cola
    And soda=every kind of soda

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

when i lived in NC and FL that was the way it was. now that i live in OH its pop. and soda is everything including coke. who knows.

4. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

this isn't related to what you said...

or the thread at all...

but... are you "justin bailey"'s brother? ;)

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well Coke is more popular* in the South. So when most say Coke they are refering to the product name not the item type.

*Popularity information based on what I have seen restaurants serve. Coke serving restaurants and chains are abundant. The only Pepsi serving restaurants in my home town that I know of are Moe's and Taco Bell. One is a smaller chain (I believe Moe's are only found in the Southeast) the other is awful all around the world.

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Nope. Here's how it works:

(Typical conversation in the south)

"I'm going to the store - want a coke?"

"Sure."

"What kind do you want?"

"Dr. Pepper."

8. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

Its pop.

born and raised in Michigan, Thank Faygo for starting the whole POP thing.

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Furthermore, any time you hear someone say "soda" or "pop" you know they are untrustworthy.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If my friends and I pull up to a gas station, I'll say I'm going inside to get a "coke", no matter what I'm buying. I'll ask if anyone else would like a "coke", and if they agree, I'll ask what they'd like (Coke, Pepsi, Root Beer, Dr. Pepper, etc.). The only time I'll say something besides "I'm getting a 'coke'." is if I'm getting a tea or gatorade. Saying "soda" just feels kinda wierd, and "pop" is just plain wrong, IMO.

11. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Definetly Soda.

Rarely rarely coke can be used..

but NEVER pop.. Just never.. Ever.

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Pop. Soda sounds wrong. Although, I'd say soda over soft drink anyday.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I usually just say whatever the drink is. I guess I say "coke" or "vanilla coke" mostly because that's what I usually drink.

brad cook

14. Coke is a brand name (short for Coca-Cola), while soda refers to soft drinks in general. I think that "pop" was the term used in the 50s for soft drinks.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I don't think so. When I was in Atlanta, I was offered soda or tea with my meals when I ordered at a restaurant. When I asked for a Coke, I received a can of Coke brand cola. When I asked for some soda, I was asked what kind I wanted.

-Mike

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm sure other southerners can sympathize with this, don't you hate when you travel out of the South and order tea and it comes unsweetened. I forget about that every time I go to Florida.

For those who didn't know, when tea is ordered in the South, it comes cold and sweetened.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, I learned that one the hard way from the other side when I was in Atlanta. I do not like my tea sweetened. The first time I had me some tea in a restaurant, it was sweetened. I asked for some unsweetened tea, and the waitress had this look of shock on her face. From then on, I made a point of asking for unsweetened tea. Although I did break down and try some sweetened tea when I was out to dinner with JT and his wife. Not bad, but I prefer my tea all natural.

-Mike

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Somehow I'm from Texas but I don't like tea period. I'm an anomaly.

brad cook

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Definition #2 of anomaly from dictionary.com:

One that is peculiar, irregular, abnormal, or difficult to classify: “Both men are anomalies: they have... likable personalities but each has made his reputation as a heavy”

Yeah Brad, you're an anomaly. :D

-Mike

20. My general understanding is that it is called pop in the midwest, and in the rest of the US it's soda, except in the south then, where it can also be coke. What we learn in school in Sweden is soda.