Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cold and Warm Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RhythmBassist01, Oct 18, 2005.

1. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    I've been experimenting with the difference in tone between cold and warm strings.

Generally I like the sound of cold strings, even though my fingers get a bit chilli, still prefer that sound. To me, the tone seems to be alot more "crisp".

Anyone else notice the difference?

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah. To me, LaBella Deep Talkin' are nice warm and round, while say GHS Rounds are edgy, crisp and cold. I like them both, they both have their times.

3. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    No.

4. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    :confused:

5. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Ok RhythmBassist01, I think that you're talking about letting your instrument get cold or warm, and then playing it. This is bad. Short term, it will mess up your intonation and neck relief, but it can also permanently warp your neck.

Obviously this is unavoidable to some extent, but if you can, leave your instrument in the case if its been sitting in the car in the cold when you bring it inside so it will warm up more slowly, and vice versa.

6. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    No. you've got it wrong.

What I mean is, removing the strings, put them in a plastic bag, then put them in the freezer until they are nice and cold. about 5 minutes.

Then when they cold, put them back on the bass.

There is a significant tone difference between cold and warm strings.

metal expands when it's warm.

7. Weird!!

How long does it take before they are back to normal?

This does not sound very practical, how often can you put your strings in the freezer before a gig :meh:

8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    You have too much time on your hands. :eyebrow:

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Tell it to my sig.

10. Do the stay in tune for more than one minute?

*feeding the troll some more*

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How are you experimenting? You've mentioned taking the strings off and putting them in the freezer but how do you measure the temperature once they're back on? How quickly do they return to room temperature?

As a control, do you notice a sound diffence if you take all the strings off and then just put them straight back on?

And, since I seem to be full of questions, how are you objectively measuring the difference in tone?

Wulf

12. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Mine too. :meh:

13. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Personally, I prefer to hold my hands in the freezer for a while before I play. The difference is noticeable, and it's easier than restringing a bass. :meh:

14. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Doesn't metal warm when you stretch it? Or is that just rubber? Or do I have it backwards?

I was never any damned good at materials science.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why not just bring a freezer to your gig and stand in it when you play? Or get one of those Mr. Freeze suits?

The logistics of doing something like taking strings off, freezing them, then putting them back on is enough to put me off the whole process. Maybe they do sound better, but who cares after all that work?

16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    That, and it would return to room temperature in oh, 10 minutes or so.

17. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Why not just rub your strings down with some "Icy Hot"? :eyebrow:

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I just saw this silliness.

You can't have any consistent tuning while strings are going from below freezing to room temperature. Just a few degrees of change will mess with your tuning...I know...I tune slightly sharp for every show, and within a song (five minutes) my strings have dropped into pitch...and that's going from room temp to the temp of my skin.

Beyond this, physics tells us that to make a structural difference in steel, or similar metals you need a heck of a lot more or less temperature to make a difference.

Physics is your friend.

19. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I think we are taking him seriously and he is not serious. Unfotuately, it wasn't particularly funny, either, so we tried to figure. Silly.