cold fingers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FWbassmonster, Oct 28, 2000.

1. FWbassmonster

May 17, 2000
    I don't know about all of you out there, but when my fingers get cold and start to lose feeling it becomes difficult to get my fingers going with accuracy and speed. Mainly this happens when I drive, in my cold truck, to my high school's Jazz Band at 6:30 am. That isn't the only time it happens though and my question is if anybody out there has found a good way to preventing this besides just wearing gloves? I was thinking it might be bad circulation or something, so, does anyone know good ways to get the blood flowing? -Thanks
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I hate that!

I'd recommend mittens instead of gloves. They do a better job of trapping your body heat in for the benefit of your entire hand, not just one finger at a time!

Other than that, it could be a blood circulation issue. I'm not saying it's one that requires medical attention, although it might, depending on the severity. However, based on the fact that it's 6:30 a.m., you're more than likely just out of bed, so you didn't do anything to get your blood going. Do some exercize.

Also, if you're a smoker, QUIT!!! That KILLS your circulation, and you'll have cold hands forever!!! Somking is terrible for bass players!!!

3. Well speaking of cold hands. My hands are a constant light shade of blue and they go purple if there is a slight chill about. Although this does disappear when i play bass, gets the blood moving. Odd tho huh? People walk up, touch my hand and recoil, when they see the colour they're like "my god! are you dead?" :(

I've tried gloves but it doesn't really help. just makes the backs of my hands sweat a bit but they go blue stiil. and the finger tips are icy cold. lol "I see dead people" lololol.

Well thats my worhtless two cents and no doubt, what with the Aussie dollar like it is, my two cents is technically free!. lol
  4. Many players that I know, (not just Bass Players) run warm water over their hands before they play to limber up the joints. You can also do some stretching excercises to get the blood flowing.
  5. Exercises? Like what? rolling of the wrists etc? Any wbesites that detail such exercises?

[Edited by merlin on 10-29-2000 at 03:23 AM]
  6. Oh, Michael Manring has a video that deals with warmup
    excercises,Stretching the fingers, Etc. As for me, I like to use those chinese health balls that you roll in your hand,also squeezing a raquetball is a much better excercise than those finger-squeeze things they sell in guitar shops.
    Also there are some Yoga-based excercises that are helpful as well. And have you ever heard of the Alexander Method?
    It's a relaxation technique, mainly for singers, but it has been very useful for Bass and piano players.These are a just
    a few Ideas for your consideration.I feel this is important because, as you already know, playing hurt can mess you up badly.Here's a great site to check out on musician's injuries and taking care of yourself. A lot of good info and links here.

[Edited by reedo35 on 10-29-2000 at 10:15 AM]
  7. i always run my fungers under warm water if that doesnt work i just try to keep my fingers below my elbows. it also seems to help if you keep your arms almost straight but slightly bent at the elbows. i dont know maybe its just superstition