Cold Heat Soldering iron

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 16, 2006.

1. how does that thing work?
    do you need a special kind of solder?

is it worth the twenty bucks?

I was watching the commercial for that last night, and it looks very interesting...I know i've talked about it before, but i don't recall if anyone said if they were worth it or not...i am in the market for a new soldering gun, and this might be the ticket...
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's not the ticket, but I suggest you get one from Radio Shack and try it out yourself.

I bought one......twice. I really wanted it to be cool, and work well. I returned it both times. If you are going to use it to solder little metal necklaces onto ornaments, go ahead and get it though. :D

3. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Our local TV station did a "Deal or Dud" thing on them. They said it was definitately a DUD. Apparently doesn't get hot enough to melt anything other than the thinnest solder.

They're supposedly coming out with a "Pro" model that should get hot enough.
  4. does it really cool within seconds?
    its not a real "make or break" deal, but i was just wondering if the product really lives up to its commercial...
  5. I bought one and found it to be marginally useful. The only thing it works on is larger pieces of metal; not electronics. This is because it passes a large current through whatever it's supposed to solder in order to make it hot enough to melt the solder ( not good for fragile solid state stuff). I've found that the only way to really make it work (not well) is to heat the solder first (by passing the large current through the solder) and then let the hot solder work on the metal. If you've done a lot of soldering, you know it's the wrong way to solder, meaning that you need to heat up whatever it is that you're soldering so that you don't make a "cold" solder joint. I'm sticking with my good old Weller soldering iron (I've also got a cordless Isotip which works well).

The tip is also very fragile and can crack very easily with very little pressure.

Definitely not worth it. It does cool down VERY fast, though.

Just my 2 cents....
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It sure does. It cools that fast because it doesn't get all that hot in the first place.

Dude, go buy one and see for yourself. It's only $20. It's not a lifetime commitment. You can return it and get your money back.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    There was a discussion of it on the Live Audio Board a few months ago. The overall consensus among those who had tried it or were familiar with it was that it wasn't useful for electronics.
  8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    My girlfriend bought me one for Christmas. I hated to break it to her when she asked, but it sucked. Just couldn't get it to melt the solder with enough efficiency to make the solder useful. Definitely look elsewhere.
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Eh, a real soldering iron is only $10 with a set of tips and solder included!
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    True, but this guy seems to really want to give the Coldheat a try. He'll take it back and buy a $10 one. :D

11. well, i was more or less interested in the claims that the commercial gave, and was wondering if anyone here knew if they were telling the truth...
  12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I see that commecial all the time and I'm also enticed by it's mysteriousness. I love how the guy solders then touches it to his magic.

I pretty much figured it was garbage though...most of those things usually are.
  13. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
  14. I know there has been discussion about the coldheat before, but I don't recall anyone coming to a conclusion...what i usually read is

15. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Dude, this is TB... you actually expect a consensus??? :eek: :p

16. true...I should have known after 5 years of TB that everything is about 50/50 with a standrad deviation of +/-5%...
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Which should lead you to your next conclusion................

Go get one and decide for yourself. :D