Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cold Kills Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thebassmuchacho, Jan 14, 2004.

1. i live in Boston and my dorm is about 5 blocks away from the college. Right now its about 2 or 3 degrees outside and i figure that taking the bass from my cozy 70 degree room to the below freezing outside would be bad for my bass. I was just wondering what i should do, or if my bass should be ok. thanks alot

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I live in the Canadian prairies. I know about these things :D. Your bass will be fine. Make sure you let it warm up for a while when you get to where you are going. If its in a gig bag, give it more time to warm up.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm in boston too...berklee?

It was -1 F when I got up this morning, at like 9 AM, that was so heinous, gah! I'm not a bostonian, I'm a californian damnit! cold for me is like 45 F

whew...either way, drastic temperature changes are no good for any instrument, they can throw the intonation out of whack, put excess stress on the neck, mess up the truss rod.

But it's too much of a hassle to adjust your bass everytime you go indoors, and it will probably be okay, if you only do it a little.

I wish I could offer better advice, I'm not very knowledgeable on set-up issues. :meh:

4. i too am a californian that moved to boston, and yes berklee is the school i go too. In california this weather is unheard of! Thanks for the advice, ill just hope that my bass doesnt freeze and shatter.

5. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Wimps! Here it is is -11F and we take our basses from the house to the car and from the car to practice all the time in this weather. Basses only go out of adjustment when they are exposed to this temperature for prolonged periods of time. A 5 block walk won't hurt the bass as long as you leave it in its case for about 20 minutes when you get to your destination.

:rolleyes:

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I am a wimp to the cold, what of it.

California is the best :meh:

7. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

:D Oh and I agree about California. Just hard to sympathize with someone complaining about bitter cold when that would be a typical late fall early spring day here. :)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is one of the few situations where I would prefer a hardcase to a gig bag.

Back when I still used hardcases, I would leave my air conditioned house with my Pedulla in the trunk, in the hardcase, and an outside temperature of 105°. Drive 45 minutes to a gig or rehearsal, go inside, open the case, and be greeted by a nice cool bass and case, temperature inside the base within 3 or 4 degrees of the place I was playing.

Can't do that with a gig bag, no matter how nice and padded.

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Definitely. Even if the temp situation is kinda reversed. My son used a gig bag and we ended up with neck issues because of the cold. Now all three of us (daughter plays guitar) use hard shells exclusively.