Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cold or Flu? Please diagnose me.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jan 13, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    A question for all you shade tree doctors out there...

I don't know if I've ever had the flu. I'm also not sure what separates a cold and the flu. As far as I can tell, the flu is just a really bad cold. So, tell me if I've ever had the flu:

I usually go through about two upper respiratory infections per year. For example, my most recent began in my throat. I knew I immediately had an infection rather than allergies because of the feeling of malaise and the appearance of what I was coughing up. This particular infection stayed in my throat (my doctor statement would read 'acute pharyngitis' if I went to him) but could easily have spread to my sinsues or lungs. This infection was accompanied by 102º fever - some such infections involve little or no fever, however. I spent a couple of days in bed and a couple of weeks to make a full recovery.

If I had gone to the doctor, he would have told me this: I can give you some antibiotics, even though I cannot easily know if this a bacterial or viral infection. If it's viral, then the antibiotics will really do nothing for you.

Let's say then, that 50% of my upper respiratory infections are viral rather than bacterial. The flu is a virus - so, is any viral upper respiratory infection defined as influenza, and is that what I likely had?

Or have I managed to catch every bug that's out there other than the flu, and if I ever do get the flu I'll be in for a veritable near-death experience, rather than the compartively mild symptoms outline above?

Okay all you armchair physicians, start your engines... ;)

2. If your throat is really sore, with a fever, it might be strep throat. Did your doctor do any throat cultures?

If not, you might want to ask. I had strep throat twice. Once when I was 12 and missed a week of school.

3. the flu attacks all of you. headache, body aches, vomiting, other bodily things, cold and hot flashes, fever, no fever.
    colds attack your respiratory, nose, throat, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, so on.
    infections of the throat----they need to be cultured. strep and all that can make you run high fevers and if untreated dangerous. sinus infections can also cause fevers. ear infections can also do that---when my boys were little they ran 105 fevers with an ear infection. and it is painful.
    if you are having problems you really need to go see your doctor and get the correct meds that will help you. :)

4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I don't know, it kind-of souds like the early stages of Stigmata to me.