Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by sixxstringz, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Hey need some help here...
    I'm from south india, which has a tropical very humid warm climate... I have been playing bass for 7 years and done a lot of studio work and live shows in and around south india.
    The new BIG band I joined is travelling up north for a show next week and the temperature there is about 5 degrees celcius...which for me is very cold. I have never played on stage under such conditions and would like to know if there is something i can do to keep my fingers warm on stage as the songs we're playing require a lot of dexterity...
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The only thing that I have done during cold, outdoor shows is to where a pari of gloves and cut the fingers off.

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I've run warm water on my hands before I warm up, with some success. If you're playing something where your fingers move alot, once they're warmed up, they should stay that way.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Fingerless gloves are probably the best option (as Mike stated, hello Mike) if you cannot get on with them then try wearing gloves up to the point you need to play. If there's an interval, put the gloves back on.

The extremities go first, ie hands and feet get cold but if you keep the core (ie your body and head) warm you should be alright.

If you generally feel the cold wear a number of thin layers, two T Shirts and a thin jumper/sweatshirt/fleece should do the trick.

Exercise can help, although it might look strange if you run a mile before you go on stage. I ran to a friends house in a thin jumper and then was told that it was -4.

Heat is lost through the head so maybe a hat is an option.
  5. I haven't tried this relative to bass in particular, but I've spent lots of time in cold spaces with no gloves. I used to live on a boat year'round and spent lots of time tryintg to keep my hands warm :D
    -Fingerless ones will work but feel quite odd until you get used to them. Practice up a storm to try and play with them, but there's probably little you can do. IF you want some and you feel they're too clunky (most are) get a pair of polypro liner gloves--they're extremely thin but better than nothing--and cut the fingers off to order.
    -If you are not warm, your hands will not be warm. You need to keep your core very warm. Likewise, your need to keep your arms REALLY warm, since you lose heat as you travel down towards your hands.
    -Long sleeves will really help, of course. Surprisingly, baggier cuffs have a slight advantage because they tend to 'poof' warm air out onto your hands as you move around. IF your body and arms are warm (yes, taht again) slightly wider cuffs are better.
    -don't smoke or drink preshow if you can avoid it; it reduces blood flow to your extremities.
    -get yourself some really warm gloves and keep 'em in an inside pocket. put them on between sets. if your hands start warm, they get more blood, and stay warm longer.
    -move around---both your body and your arms. moving = muscle use = heat productino and more blood flow = warmer hands.
  6. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    one thing i haven't tried personally but that has been recommended to me by a friend is a thing similar to (sweat) wrist bands. only they're about 10-20 cm long. they're supposed to keep your arm/tendons/blood warm.

EDIT: they're called pulse warmers, take a look

or google.
  7. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    What I've used for years are called "shooter's mittens". They look like fingerless mittens that have a fold-back finger cap that attaches to the back of the mitten with velcro when not in use.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I can vouch for the usefulness of these -- they've served me many long, cold, Canadian winters where with wind it gets down to -25 or -30 celcius.

Having come out of winter in the last few weeks, 5°C would've been heaven to me! Layers on the body, try those shooter's mittens. They might go up a liiiiittle high for playing bass, maybe. Try 'em out though. Definitely wear a hat -- toque if possible.