Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cold Steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LeftyBass, Mar 8, 2001.

1. LeftyBass

LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    Anyone tried those Cold Steel strings? They are supposedly "cryogenically wrapped" or something. The dude from Papa Roach plays on them, and I've been hearing good things about them having a good heavy rock sound. Any comments???

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I tried them and I didn't find that they have a distinctive advantage or disadvantage compared to other strings in the same (price) category. In my opinion this is more a marketing thing. I can't imagine that cryogenic treatment offers (verifiable) improvements. I'd even suspect that this puts unnecessary thermal stress on the strings (as would boiling in water btw).

If you like 'em, good! I just wasn't impressed enough to stick with them...

And remember: That guy from Papa Roach has an endorsement deal - he plays them because of a contract, not (just) because they're suit his style...

P.S.: I just saw that they have a forum at www.deanmarkley.com

direct link: http://www.deanmarkley.com/htmlDocs/BullBordMstr.html

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Of what I have heard, the (only?) difference between frozen steels and regular steels is that the cryo ones will keep the highs crisp just a tad longer. I haven't tried any, so I don't know myself.

Don't believe the hype! :)

Edit: Damn typos.

4. LeftyBass

LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    Ok, so what would you guys recommend for a good solid rock sound then? I've tried D'Addarios, DRs, Warwick Black Label and a couple of others. For the longest time I played only DRs, but they break way too often for me. I mean, I was going through them like a chain smoker goes through cig packs. And you think SMOKING is an expensive habit! So, I gave up on DR. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Unfortunately, everyone's on his own in the search for THE strings. It's perhaps THE most personal choice to make in terms of equipment IMO.

I love my Pyramid Pyrasound stainless steels, gauged .035-.095, but chances are that you'd hate them...And I don't know if they're available in the U.S.

Try some more name brands and you'll find something you'll like...that's all advice one can give, really.

6. I got a great discount on a set of light gauge Dean Markley Blue Steels (it's a bit weird for me, I had worked my way up to mediums before.. man can I bend on these things) and I like them. Hasn't really been much change in the sound so far and it's a pretty good sound. I think I'll stick to slightly heavier strings in the future though.

I've heard cryogenic treatment is supposed to do wonders for brass instruments.