Cold Temps & Low Humidity - what to do to preserve your acoustic instruments

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dbassmon, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    humidity.jpg

If you own acoustic string instruments, better make sure you control the humidity in your studio. This cold weather brings arid air which can cause your instrument to crack. If your house has forced hot air heat, the air will be even drier.... this is bad for instruments made of wood. Either the top (soundboard) or seams can split open. That is ABGs, Double Bass, Acoustic Guitars, any violin family member, even the soundboard of your acoustic piano. Even if you are playing solid body instruments, low humidity causes frets to sprout as the fingerboard shrinks from low humidity.

Most instrument showrooms or studios will maintain 40%-45% relative humidity.

35% is where I want to average my instruments because rapid drastic changes in humidity are hazardous to your instrument. By keeping my basses a little dryer (35%), they are less likely to have a problem when I bring them into a club or concert where there is no consideration given to how humid the air is and you can easily encounter a considerable drop in humidity. If your instruments live at home only, 40%-45% is where you want to keep them.

Its a really good ideal to buy a hygrometer and room humifier with a humidistat to protect your valuable instruments from damage and expensive repairs -

This has been a been a public service annuouncement!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    bholder likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm pumping out about 5 gallons a day and only managing to hover around 24% here. Always tough this time of year though.

3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    24% is not good, not only for your instruments, but your sinuses too. How big a space are you trying to cover?
    Essick MA1201 humidifier
    This will cover 3600 sq ft, so it says. Its got a humidistat and sells for $99 (Consumer Report best buy rated console humdifier) Buy your instruments a Christmas present.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    bholder likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Thanks! That ought to cover my whole house! ...and.... ordered! Thanks!

Dbassmon likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021