cold weather? amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alecmcmahon, Dec 28, 2001.

1. quick question, would me leaving my amp head , and combo amp in cold weather ( in the car ) damage the equipment at all?
  2. I think electrical equipment is damaged when it is left where heat approaches zero celcius, around 32 fahrenheit. I live in Iceland, I keep my amp in the garage but it's pretty warm in there. Though I did leave it overnight at a pretty cold place (around 40 fahrenheit, 4 celcius) and it wasn't damaged. Ithink they get damaged because in cold weather all things made of metal shrink (wires and such) and they can get damaged from that. Could be something else too. At any rate I'd be careful about leaving it for a long time there.
  3. I think repeatedly taking your stuff from very cold to room temperatures will maybe cause things to expand and contract more than they should, but then going from room temp to hot ie: loud playing, is somewhat similar to that also. I think the big thing is avoiding condensation related problems by not using your gear too quickly after bringing it inside. I try to let stuff sit as long as possible prior to playing. Cheers.