1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cold Weather Motorcycling

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    DC637AF7-798B-4503-B2C6-74D1A548364B.

It looks like I will do some cold weather riding at least few days every week to keep the battery alive. I actually enjoy short cold weather rides of ten miles or less as long as it is dry with no ice.

MattZilla, ahc, saltydude and 5 others like this.
  2. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Man Doc, you’re brave. Haven’t really ridden in years, but still have the license. Nice bike!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I feel that I have a good idea what to watch for, and I think I know what to avoid. For instance, I do not plan on riding at night in sub-freezing temperatures. Black ice is bad enough on four wheels!:eek:

MattZilla, Gaolee and MCF like this.
  4. Get a good pair of chaps. They make a huge difference. Ditch the gloves and get mittens. A good wool sweater and scarfs are your friends. When all else fails , get a cheap 1 or 2 amp battery charger. Stick it on overnight once every couple of months. A good battery won't drain off more than that. As long as there's no ice on the road and you are dressed for it , cold riding isn't any different than warm riding. Just watch out for leaves on the road.

5. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Electrically heated gear. Seriously.

ahc, FunkySpoo, Oberst and 4 others like this.
  6. That's a very drab colour scheme at the best of times and positively camouflage at dusk. Stay safe.

MattZilla and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That will be a post Christmas gift to myself.

blastoff99 likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don’t plan to ride at night during the winter, I could see me being caught coming home at 4:30 or 5:00. I plan on buying a reflective yellow vest I saw at Walmart.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    MCF and Downunderwonder like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I almost busted my @$$ on leaves back in September or early October. They are all down around here.

10. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Doc, I love ya', but yer nutz! LOL!

I'm in Indiana, so I'm not far from you, and my Harley is snuggled under it's cover on a trickle charger. I've got friends that are still riding, though. I think they're nuts! The coldest I've braved is about 40*, and I swore I'd never do it again, LOL! IF, and that's a mighty big if, it's gets up to 40* again and I'm off work, I may roll down the street and get some more gas, but I don't see that happening until March/April. Leather does help a bunch. You be careful out there...

Here's my scooter-

43187033_10216278351618916_7727892298725326848_o.

Corbusier likes this.

11. Just because they are all down doesn't mean that they have all been raked or even picked up. They can be a problem almost all winter long. If they get wet , they are as bad as hitting ice. Twenty five years on two wheels taught me this the hard way.;)

Dr. Cheese likes this.

12. If I had any inclination to ride again , this would be my idea of the perfect bike. I love the classic look of the old style oil bottle , the handle bars are up at a comfortable height , and at 103 inches ,it has enough power to keep me happy. Heck ,back when I was riding the biggest thing we could put together was 86 inches. With a fully chopped bike weighing in at just under 500 lbs. total , this was more than enough. I also had mine geared bigger than you can do it these days. You could get some pretty huge sprockets back in the day. Mine started life out as a 1952 FL but with a bit of a cam and the big sprockets , it was one of the fastest bikes in my area. I have three pages of driving record to prove it.:woot:

pbass6811 likes this.
  13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Good on ya doc. I ride until the first snow myself (and sometimes after that) since the riding season here is so short. Latest I’ve ridden is Dec 24. That season, I was back on the bike in early March. Shortest time I’ve had off the bike since I started riding again.

This year though, the snow came in early November and stayed. I’m in Canada in the Eastern time zone.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sweet bike! I am going to get tickle charger too. I take cold weather pretty well. I can go down to 25F. The coldest I did was 11F when I was in high school short of a great emergency, I won’t do that again.

pbass6811 and Gaolee like this.
  15. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I love riding in cold weather. I also have a heavy lime yellow jacket with armor and armored water and wind resistant riding overpants. Warm gear and especially wind resistant gear makes a huge difference. Someday, I would like a hi-viz Aerostich suit. More expensive GAS. Meaning it will be a while.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +100%

Wind resistance is far and away the most important thing!

17. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    My driving record is just now starting to heal, lol! I'm trying to break the "get a ticket in every vehicle I own" cycle I've been on. I've gone almost 4 years and I've not been pulled over since we got this group of vehicles, lmao!

I agree with you on every aspect of the Heritage Softail, I just wish it had a radio. Mounting speakers on it takes away from the look. I almost traded it for a Street Glide, but I couldn't justify it. This is my first cruiser, after many years on Sportbikes, so I'm trying to take it easy, but I still ride like my hair is on fire...lol!

If you do decide to get back on two-wheels, get a '17, HD changed the Heritage in '18 and it doesn't look the same. The '18 has the new motor, which is great, but the look isn't there.:thumbsup:

sharkbait130 likes this.
  18. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    I rode this year until the snow started flyin. Those 35 degree nights were a challenge but my pals and I kept goin to the bitter end.

Dr. Cheese likes this.

19. My last bike didn't have a front brake , speedometer , turn signals or horn much less a radio. I'd have to get used to all of those before even thinking about a radio on a bike. Probably not going to happen though. Seahag (my lovely wife) recently got the urge to start riding and bought a used Honda Shadow. I've ridden it s few times hoping to maybe get the old urge back. Nope. Nothing. Didn't do a thing for me so I guess I'll pass on a two wheeler for now.

Note: Cheese has a few other threads on his riding adventure. Somewhere in a couple of them are a couple of pics of my last scooter. My old puter that had them loaded on it crapped out a couple of months ago so until I can find the old friends Facebook posts that they came from they are going to be lost to the internet. Hmmmm , I guess I could try to look up those old Cheese posts. Naaaaaaa , I'm much to lazy to even do that.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  20. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    It was 50 when I left the house this morning.
    Doesn't sound bad until you get up to 75mph.
    Luckily I had on enough gear to keep me warm.:bassist:

Dr. Cheese likes this.