Cold weather shipping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Dec 19, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I've heard many times that in a cold weather climate it is wise to allow your newly arrived package to warm up before unpacking in order to avoid the bass inside from being "shocked" by the sudden change in temperature. What period of time are we talking about here?
  2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I would probably say as long as you can keeps your hands off that new bass that just arrived!

But in seriousness... if it's really cold weather, dont rush it.... probably wait 5 or 6 hours or longer.
  3. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    its a crock...

by the time the bass has been sitting in the shipping depot, riding in the truck all day to get to your house, the bass has already been in your climate for 12-24 hours.
  4. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Been in my climate, yes. Been in the cold-ass truck, yes. Frozen, yes. Don't know what's a crock. :confused:
  5. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I agree with PasdaBeer in part. By time the bass arrives to your house, it will probably have been out of the extreme temps for several hours.

I just received and shipped a bass last week. Temps were around 20 degrees F. I immediately opened the box and inspected the bass. However, I waited several hours before tuning and playing.

Also, there's conflicting info on whether to detune a bass or not. So I just detune whatever it takes to lay the tuners flat.

6. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Trust me, if you have a bass with a gloss finsih you can get in trouble. I had a '78 Musicman SR4 that I somehow forgot and left in the storage bin in the bus overnight, took it inside the building at the gig, opened the case and stood there and watched the clear coat crack like a piece of shattered glass, looked like a spider web. The bass was super cold and when when the warm air hit it .... ZAP. Needless to say I never leave any basses in cold or hot weather these days :D
  7. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Could it be that the bass cracked when it saw you? :D

Sorry man, I couldn't resist. :D
  8. Stryker

Dec 19, 2004
    I live in New York City and many times we get unexpected cold snaps. Last week was one of those times. On Wednesday December 16, 2004 I recieved my Guild Bluesbird. I waited 4 before I unpacked it! I couldn't see a Flamed Maple Top destroyed because of my carelessness and impatience.

Thinking you do no harm to your finish during temperature and humidity extremes you'd only be fooling yourself.

I just ran a test concerning humidity. I bought a digital hygrometer. Most luthiers keep their shop at a constant temperature and humidity. The ideal humidity is 50 percent some luthiers will say no lower than 45 percent humidity. This is done by using a room humidifier or in the case of a luthiers' shop an industrial humidifier.

I checked my room temperature which was 67 degrees and humidity at 40 percent. Inside the case the humidity increased by 2 percent to 42 percent. I added a commercial himidifier to the case and within an hour it leveled off to a constant 50 percent humidity in the case.

Your finish will not automatically be affected by temperature and humidity changes unless you are playing an acoustic instrument, this is where you will notice tone changes almost immediately. Strings and soundboard are the areas affected.

Temperature, humidity, enviornment affect everything over time your bass is no exception!