Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cold weather

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kato_kaylin, Mar 29, 2003.

1. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    I'm not for certain on this that is why i am asking, but anyways, the guitarist in our band thinks that cold weather is horrible for our amps and doesnt want to play. It will be about 40 or so degrees. Is it really bad for the amp? Our amps will only be out in the garage where its that temp for about 2 or 3 hours. thanks

2. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    My understanding is that cold weather can be hard on tubes. I'm in a band that practices in a similar setting year round in weather that gets often below freezing, and neither myself nor my fearless guitar player have experienced any kind of damage due to cold weather.

If you have the means, you might want to pick up a couple of space heaters to throw around the garage to help keep the temperature up - not that I think you'll experience any major problems with such a short term exposure to near freezing weather, but it never hurts to play it safe.

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    From things I have read in the many owners manuals ,for equipment I have purchased and then later returned, you should let your equipment aclimate to the place you will be playing before and after the jam, you want to let the epuipment sit a for a while, besides if you have no choice as to where you can play, do what you have to do to jam it out!

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have some bad memories of a snow tour we did a couple of years ago. We had to rush from one gig to another so we did a quick pack up and drove off. When we got to the next gig, every single amp failed. Guitar, Bass, and all 3 PA power amps.

Apparently the rapid change in temperature isn't good for the solder joints inside the amp. Our amps were still hot from the gig, went down to freezing temps in the van, got bumped around in transit, and knocked a few solder joints lose. Luckilly our sound guy got everything going again.

So I agree with the acclimatisation theory. Avoid rapid temp changes and you should be fine.

5. I've had moisture problems from bringing them in from the cold and turning them on right away. Rapid temp changes can't be good for electronic equipment. But, it's just something we have to live with from time to time.