Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, May 20, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Played an outdoor gig this past Saturday. It was 40 degrees out. My hands were so cold. We could see our breath! It went like crud. I was truly embarassed. I'll never play out in the cold again! I have to add that to the technical rider.

Anyway, before the soundcheck, my amp kept cutting out on me. I'm assuming the tubes in my SVP-Pro preamp were not warm enough. I would play a few notes and all would be fine, I'd stop for a few seconds and get nothing. As the gig went on, all was well.

My amp is solid state. Do you think it was the tubes in the pre?
  2. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    yeah the weather sucks, specially when your hands get cold and it kinda hurts to play bass theyre so cold.

not sure on the amp there sorry.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My old blues trio use to do Biker rallies in North Jersey near the NY/NJ/PA border. I've done my share of early spring/ late fall outside gigs.

Never heard of a cold tube failure... coldness makes things contract... maybe the cold caused a future short to surface??

I Hope not... but you may want to have the head serviced.
  4. First off I'm NO Tech. Does not sound like a tube to me. More like some brittle solder joint somewhere. Heat plays a role in all of that. Never the less take it in and get it checked before you gig again.