Coldplay Tone-Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by keoliphant, Jan 22, 2004.

1. keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I've been on a search for tone for quite some time and have looked at replacing my amp (Mesa 400+), bass (Lakland 4-94), and now my cabs (Eden 410XLT). Here's what I'm after:

Full range bass tone, articulate, punchy, smooth.
    No Mud & Not Woolly!

I play with a couple of acousti guitarists (plugged into a PA) and an african drum. I'm currently getting a tone that seems mushy, mid-rangey, boomy, aggressive-I don't like it! My current thought has been to replace my Mesa 400+...pick up a QSC power amp and a tube preamp, but here's my question: Do you think it's the Eden cab?!?!?!?!

I've put finger on the type of tone I'm after...I love the sound the bassist from Coldplay gets. Their website says he's playing with an Ampeg Classic Head and Ampeg Cabinets. I'm going to head to the music store next week to check it out....probably try a SVT-15E with a SVT-210HE with my current setup. Any other ideas or suggestions? Please help!

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    He uses the 810 cab, if you go with the Ampeg 15 you'll be heading futher down the road to mud city.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if anything, if you hearing too much of an edgey, aggressive growl, its the Eden cab.

but, have you tried dialing in your sound, while playing with the group? usually, what sounds best at home, doesnt necessarily translate to a good gig tone. also, you might wanna try a compressor of some sort. doesnt have to be anything fancy. a nice compressor pedal like something from Boss, Demeter, etc. would serve you fine. it'll help rein in those pesky low end peaks that can get away from you, and tighten up your overall tone.

some tips, if you're tone is flabby and tubby sounding, try cutting some of the lower registers. scary but true. for more clarity from that woolliness, try cutting some in the 300-400Hz range. for less of an edgey sound, try turning down the tweeter or the upper mids on your amp or bass, if possible.

if you still like that low mid punchie sound, try an Aguilar 4x10. IMHO, it sounds like a tamer version of the Eden cab. much smoother, but again, has that nice low mid bump for extra punch.

for a bit less, go ahead and try an Ampeg 4x10. like Xulu said the 15" is mud city. but overall, they're usually pretty smooth and chewy sounding. you could try an SWR 4x10 Goliath cab. nice buttery smooth midrange, tight low end, but i find the tweeter and upper end to be a tad too harsh.

but IMHO, for this particular gig, it seems like a 4x10 would be overkill, no? how 'bout a nice Acme B2 2x10? you'll literally hear the most of your uber cool Mesa all tube amp, cause its the most full range sounding cab. and its neutral character makes it sound much smoother than most cabs out there. but that neutral character also translates to a great blank canvas to really shape your tone. its also small, compact, and prolly a better match for your group.

another idea in the smaller boxes is an Aguilar 1x12. its smaller, but might be a little too dark for you.