Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Halftooth, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Okay, I preparing myself for not too much discussion on this one, as I'm sure this guy isn't mainstream enough, but Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree is really an amazing player. If you haven't heard of these guys, you really should check them out. Extremely talented musicians!
    At first, when listening, I wasn't blown away. He doesn't play a million miles an hour or solo all over the place. He's an in the pocket kind of guy, but he knows when to step out a bit and make it sound tasteful within the song. He also plays a fretless from what I can tell, and his tone IMO is amazing. If there are any Colin fans out there, do you know about his gear? Anyway, I just wanted to see what others thought of this guy, and if there are any other bands like this that I should check out as well.
  2. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    No, I didn't. I had tickets, but a second degree sunburn prevented me from attending. How's Opeth? I've heard about them, but I've never heard their music. Are they like Porcupine Tree? Is their bass player any good?
  3. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In Absentia is great,, I'm really loving it. Opeth is a semi Progressive melodic Black metal Band,,, if that makes sense. I've their records Still Life and Deliverance,, both are quite good IMO,, altho sometimes their "songs" get a little tiring at 10 plus minutes.
  4. ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    Colin is one of my favorite bassists. He is, as already stated, not an in your face bass player. He is there but not trying to be anything special. and his tone is the best I have heard. I just wish people would put up more bass tabs on so I can learn some more songs. they have 3 PT songs up there now though. I would like to know what his gear is though. but
    i know he plays a fretless. I saw a stream of them live and saw him playing a 6 string fretless.
  5. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I was on the PT site, on from looking at the pics, he mainly uses a Wal 4 string fretless and Mesa Boogie gear. I also saw some EBS stuff and a fretted bass as well. Didn't see any 6 string pics on there, although I wouldn't doubt it because I defintley hear some low B stuff in their songs.
  6. ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    Damnation is a great album! And the bass does sound great on it. Opeth's bassist is another one of my favorite players. He is really good.
  7. ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    "Lightbulb Sun" is considered by many people I have talked to on other forums to be their best one actually. I like it a lot but I am into heavier stuff right now so I like "In Absentia" more for now.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not a fan but I have "The Sky Moves Sideways" and I really like that particular track which is about 35 minutes long - in two parts on the CD!

I think Richard Barbieri - the ex-Japan keyboard player adds a lot to this album - but there is some very nice bass playing as well.

I was put off by seeing them live however - after buying "The Sky Moves..." - I was really keen and went to see them play at a fairly small club in my home town and I thought they were really awful. :(

So - I ended up really taking a dislike to the singer/guitarist - Steven Wilson - he came across as a totally self-obsessed poser and he played loads of interminable guitar solos which were very boring and repetitive, with no redeeming features.

My feeling was that he was a megalomaniac who had been restrained by the experienced presence of Barbieri on the album I had, but had no taste or subtelty of his own - so I avoided them after that!
  9. Colin is great.

My old band was supposed to do a support act tour for them, had to cancel it because of the drummer getting rsi.

Worked one show for them as a Stagemanager...might do another one by the end of they year...kickass bassplayer.

10. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are my next favorite after In Absentia. The other songs that I have heard from the other albums are a bit out there to me, plus, I prefer their heavier stuff anyway. From what it said on their site, their next album is going to be even heavier than In Absentia. There is one new song that can be downloaded, and it's defintley faster than the normal PT stuff.
  11. BostonLowGroove

Apr 30, 2003
    Colin Edwin is such a pocket player. I can't get enough of Porcupine Tree. In Absentia is awesome. Hate Song (live) is where I think Colin really shows what he is about. No idea about gear, but his tone is one of the best out there.
  12. rumplebunny

rumplebunny Guest

Jul 8, 2003
    Houston, TX
    The first time I heard that sinister groove in PT's "Idiot Prayer" a few years ago, I knew I wanted to check out these guys some more. I love Colin's playing, he's so deep and authoritative.
  13. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I've been listening to In Absentia recently, having heard good things about it from people who like prog stuff as I do. Great album! Some years ago I heard "Up The Downstair" a number of times, and liked it but it was a borrowed copy and I don't remember it so well.

This will push me to try another album or two. I love finding new bands to get into! Doesn't happen too often anymore.
  14. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    even if am hot really into prog rock stuff i admire porcupine tree since their beginning.

great band, great talent and great music.

i love colin playing and sound.
  15. I just picked up In Absentia the other day and I'm LOVING IT! I'd like to thank you folks for turning me on to them. Very cool. Very tight. I like it. I like it alot....
  16. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm glad you like it! It really is a very good CD. If you're lucky enough to find Stupid Dream, and Lightbulb Sun, I'd recommend buying them as well. These 3 are their best efforts. I'm not a huge fan of their earlier material, but they seem to be getting even better with age. Their next album, from all accounts, sounds like it will really be good.