Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Colin Greenwood - is he good or not?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by weeblandbob, Nov 6, 2005.

1. weeblandbob

weeblandbob

May 21, 2005
    colin greenwood is the guy from radiohead, if you don't know
    i've heard him do some really good stuff, but a lot of his basslines are pretty boring

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think his playing is perfect for the band! A busier sounding bassist wouldn't fit Radiohead songs.

3. I don't think he's boring at all! His bass line on "National Anthem" IS the song. His dotted half note line on "How to Dissapear Completely" is one of the more unique parts I've heard in recent years. The space he leaves in "Airbag" makes the notes he does play that more important. Finally, his melodic part on the 7/8 section of "Paranoid Android" is like a hidden bass solo.

Sure there are other songs where he lays back and plays "support" bass, but that's what real bass players do. Even Geddy Lee said Colin was one of his favorite current bass players.

4. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Little that he does jumps out to grab me, but he gets the job done. I think that the drummer in that band is brilliant.

5. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Dude, +1 on "How to Dissapear Completely". That was one of the first songs I learned. I love how it just flows with the song. It's also probably my favorite Radiohead song ever.

The verdict on Colin Greenwood: Awesome.

However, Radiohead is like an awesome collevtive musical entity. They often switch roles in the studio. So you never know who wrote and played a given song. Thom or Johnny could have written some basslines, and Colin could have written guitar parts. You never know.

See avatar. ;)

6. Thom York actually played bass on the recording "National Anthem" but he does play it live, and it's a hard bass line to keep in time live, with no improvisations. He gets my vote.

on "How To Disappear Completely" he's got that really nice flowing ostinato going throughout the whole song. It's almost like a sub-hook.

7. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    He is a great musician, which makes him a great bassist. Knows how to enhance the song.

8. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Airbag. The man can GROOVE.

And another vote for his other half, Phil, the drummer - if you ever get a chance to hear 'Where I End and You Begin' live, the drum and bass are KICKIN' together. Drums are a lot more prominent live than on the more drab album version.

Colin plays awesome, repetitive hooks that benefit the song. He's a musician.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

And who can argue with that?! ;)

There is too much chaos/odd timed dissonace in the guitars for busy bass. He keeps it solid and sounds good doing it.

10. got to love the syncopated Fuzz-bass madness of MYXOMYTOSIS

11. I personally judge a bass player on what he does for the song, how it sounds. The bassist needs to make the song sound good. Not by how technical or fast he plays.

He knows how to do his job. That to me means he is good.

My 5cents worth. :)

:bassist:

12. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Airbag and Paranoid Android have Great parts to them But as a side note the National Anthem line was written by Thom when he was about 16.

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    2nd post and that sums it up for me...

14. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I figured that was a synth. Very Gary Numan-like.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Radiohead is one of my favourite bands. However I never really took notice of what the bass was doing. Because the bass in most radiohead songs doesn't jump out and grab you imediately like a RHCP song for example. But when I did start listening more attentively I noticed that he puts some really nice pieces into his bass lines. Yeah he's definitely a great player.