Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Colin Greenwood!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jul 31, 2001.

1. I've looked everywhere, and I'm having trouble finding out what kind of gear he uses! Can anyone help me out? I'm particularly interested in what he uses for fuzz...

2. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I don't know about effects and amps, but he uses a MM Stingray on The Bends, and a Fender Precision live, to the best of my knowledge.

3. I found this info at a website, however it doesn't list the Music Man (I've seen pictures of him playing one). I don't know if the strings are up to date, as I saw him playing with flatwounds on MTV and SNL.

4. Well, he USED to play Ernie Balls, but i guess he changed.

Did the camera actually get THAT close to Colin so that you could see the type of strings he was playing???

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    He used MM in thew first years of the band (a green one) but all of Radiohead gear was stolen and he got a Fender P and continued with it...

the list of gear that you found is of the OK Computer era... i don´t know if he is using still the same gear for Kid A and Amnesiac (he´s got a double bass too).

6. Well, I paid close attention, and flats look alot different then roundwounds...

7. He uses Ashdown amps now. There's no telling what fuzz sounds are used in the studio. And it may not even be him playing. Radiohead approaches recoding as a group effort, so Thom or Jonny are as likely to be playing bass as Colin. For example, The NAtional Anthem (which has a great fuzz sound) was played by Thom in the studio.

8. I don't think one would be able to tell at such distance the type of strings that he was playing...

9. 1) I had an entire concert to look, and there where many times where the camera focused on Colin (as it did with all of the band members).

2) Listen to his tone... he has a very bassy, thumpy sound. Pretty much NO treble, and no sustain.

10. I'm pretty sure he uses flatwounds...i was just wondering how one could find out what strings he used on camera...

11. I just saw Radiohead in Chicago a few days ago.. I was about 25 feet from the stage and close to the center, with an unobstructed view of the entire band for most of the show. I think it goes without saying that I had the time of my life!!! :)

Colin had a P-bass, an 8x10 (It was almost definitely one of the newer Ampegs, but I couldn't quite make out the logo.. so there's the chance it wasn't), and an absolutely monstrous rack next to it. I couldn't tell if it was totally filled or what all was inside of it, but the rack case was about as tall as the 8x10. There were also a few pedals on top of the rack, but I couldn't make them out.

His tone was great, and the fuzztones he had going on "National Anthem" and "Packt like Sardines.." were beautiful. He played keyboard bass on "Climbing Up the Walls," and the tone sounded fairly close to the studio version.

12. :cool: greenwood is my last name...:cool: