1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Colin Hodgkinson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by AlphaMale, Sep 20, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Apparently one of the greatest bassists ever and I haven't heard of him on talk bass.
    What do you know about him?

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    For whatever reason, Colin's playing never caught the imagination of the listening public like Entwistle, Chris Squire, Jack Bruce, or McCartney did. He was as equally impressive and innovative as those guys were. I guess he didn't stay with one band that was really popular for long enough of a time.

He gets a little press from time to time, and he's been in Bass Player magazine. He's been around a long time and his history goes way back. Colin is certainly my favorite lefty pick playing bassist. :)

3. TimmyBoomBoom

TimmyBoomBoom

Apr 10, 2007
    I saw Back Door many, many years ago in Detroit. They were amazing! Hodgkinson did a lot of slide work on the bass too. I've never seen anyone else do that. I seem to recall Hodgkinson also was on one of those Mick Jagger solo album which sold about 56 copies and went "Aluminum"....... At anyrate Alf, 20db is, IMO, right. Hodgkinson was (is?) impressive and innovative.

4. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    I like Ron the Ripper myself...

nevertheless, Colin Hodgkinson is astounding.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If you do a search, you'll find he has more than a few fans here. One of the pioneers of our instrument!

6. Yeah, I remember at least one more thread about him on here, too! Saw him play live with 'Whitesnake' in 1983, and a few years later participating in Pete York's TV show 'Superdrumming'. Great player!

7. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    Check out the posts including mine regarding underrated bassists... he's also visible on Youtube, a little known killer player, way ahead of his time!

8. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    You'd have to be nuts to not appreciate these chops!

:)

9. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    This one, linked after watching one listed in the last post- killed me. This is what music is all about, to me...FEELING! He's a damn good frontman, too, and his playing is nothing short of incredible, he transcends boundaries. Like any of the truly great musicians of our time have, his is a unique voice. I remember hearing him, after a friend heard me and saw my lefty bass...and told me of him, and his group, Back Door. That was a long time ago. I can't believe more bassists don't speak of him. he is amazing.

Watch and enjoy....the 'solo' harmonics section made me just grin from ear to ear!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There have been many threads around here over the years - just do a search...?

But it's no suprise that Back Door weren't popular - they were basically a Jazz group with electric bass - so Jazz is not that popular anyway and what few Jazz fans there are in the the UK like their Jazz with Double Bass!! :p