Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Colin Moulding of XTC???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassguy187, Jan 11, 2001.

1. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    hey guys i think this guy is a great bassplayer and very innovative, he's from xtc which was an eightes skaish new wave band that turned into to pop and now to rythmical easy listening music,
    they're older stuff is much better
    anyone else a fan??

10cc likes this.
  2. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    by the way,
    all u primus fans out there,
    they covered scissor man and making plans for nigel,
    which are both xtc songs,
    and he actually does them quite well
    in my opinion,
    -Doug

3. yeah, I like all of the Black Sea album, especially the fat short scale bass sound, and the Mayor Of Simpleton and Senses Working Overtime basslines. (not so keen on the tone on Mayor Of Simpleton- a Wal bass).

4. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    black sea is a great album,
    he uses a fender fretless with round wound strings on that song u dont like the tone on, i'm pretty sure

5. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    i meant FLATWOUND my bad

6. hmmm. I've got the book "XTC Song Stories" and under the listing for Mayor Of Simpleton it says "Colin had to crank up his bright-sounding Wal bass to separate the notes on the rapid bass line".
    I'll have to search for the interviews he did in Bassist and Bass player magazines for more info.

7. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    oh really it does sound like one,
    that song sounds really neat when i play it on
    my stingray with the brights up also,
    but i found that out off of some xtc site,
    i don't remember which one,
    you're probably right tho,
    i'm a huge xtc fan, thanx for the knowledge

8. no one could rip off a Mcartney line like Colin.
    Black Sea is a must have.

9. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    i like colin as a bassplayer alot more then mccartnney
    i think he's more original and has more talent,
    but thats me,
    i always like xtc more then the beatles,
    have a nice day

squidtastic and adivin like this.
  10. I was never a big XTC Fan until I had to write a review of Apple Venus for Bassics Magazine. I've been a fan of Mr. Moulding's ever since. I think my favorite song on the CD is "Green Man".

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I had their first 5 or so albums as they came out and saw them live a few times. I don't think they would appreciate your description of them though! ;)

They came out of the "post-punk" era - when the early anger and raw sound of the punk movement was fading but people still wanted short snappy songs and not a long magnum opus with drum solo! But they were the first band to be accepted by the punk audience that featured keyboards heavily - very abrasive sounds from doctored organs etc which dominated the first albums. These were quite "intellectual" and featured a mix of clever lyrics and abrasive sounds - the second album was set up as a parody of Marketing - with every part of the album cover, having a "blurb" which ironically explained the "Marketing-Speak" definition of a "Product".

The big change came when the Keyboard player left to form an even more avant-garde band and a lot of people thought that they would fold as this was what defined their sound. But they came up with the "ironically-titled" "Drums and Wires" - no keyboards!! This is actually my favourite album of theirs and marked a huge departure towards melody which had been completely buried previously and the flowering of Colin Moulding as a songwriter - "Making Plans for Nigel" was on this album and got into the charts in the UK!

I do like Coilin Moulding as a songwriter, but he has always been less prolific than Andy Partridge, so most of their albums are filled with Andy's songs with the odd gem from Colin. As to bass playing - he keeps it as simple as possible - deliberately, emphasising his commitment to the song. But when I saw them live at the University in Brighton at about the time of the release of "Drums & Wires" there was tremendous energy from the band and the bass playing was very good for the music.

12. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    well they were new wave listen to their early songs, such as crosswire, and i'm bugged,
    they sound totally new wave to me,
    then listen to alot of their guitar riffs,
    they're very skaish,
    thats the only reason i said that,
    then their music did get more popish.

13. Bruce Lindfield

I was there! I was playing in bands like this at the time and bought those early albums when they were released. Making Plans for Nigel has a Reggae Dub inspired bass line - but Ska is a completely different kettle of fish and Andy's playing is quirky, rhythmic and inventive but I don't think he would have admitted to any Ska influences at the time! ;)

10cc likes this.
  14. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    haha ok i'm sorry my friend,
    i was not thier and i'm a 17 year old that listens to
    punk/ska, and thats what it sounded like to me,
    i'll take it from, ur probably alot smarter wiser, etc etc.
    i have been listening to them a very long time tho,
    -have a nice day-

15. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Colin's OK but he's nobody compared to The Red Curtain, bassist for the Dukes of Stratosphear...

David Mochen, adivin and 10cc like this.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Well this might not be totally irrelevant, if music were a competitive sport.. but then it's not, last time I looked!! ;)

17. I used to love XTC! Sorry,to say I did`nt know the bassist`s name though.The songs Senses Working Overtime,and
    The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead are great songs with strong basslines.These two songs actually helped me decide I wanted to learn bass,so I guess I will have to rediscover XTC,eh? Black Sea here I come! :)

BMGecko likes this.
  18. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Bruce-it was a joke-Colin Moulding is The Red Curtain! The Dukes of Stratosphear was a side project that XTC did on and off in the '80's. I believe that Terry (drums) had just quit the band and the group was looking for something fun, so they enlisted Dave Gregory's brother to play drums, gathered together a bunch of vintage 60's equipment, and entered into the studio to pay homage to all of the great, ridiculous psychedelic bands of the late 60's. They each adopted a silly pseudonym (Colin--the Red Curtain; Andy--Sir John Johns; Dave--Lord Cornelius Plum; Dave's brother--E.I.E.I. Owen) and released "25 O'Clock" in 1985 and "Psonic Sunspot" in 1987 (both were reissued on one CD, "Chips From the Chocolate Fireball" in 1987.

The songs are as good as any of Moulding or Partridge's best in from the "real" XTC, and the mind-bending production makes each song a crazy, trippy world of its own: "Bike Ride to the Moon" evokes Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd; "Shiny Cage" references the Beatles' "I'm Only Sleeping"; whilst "Pale and Precious" is a reverent tribute to the both the hushed intimacy and orchestral bombast of the Beach Boys' finest work. More info on this phase of XTC's career can be found in the excellent "XTC:Song Stories" book by Neville Farmer (I think that's his name).

While I loved "Apple Venus," I'm not that crazy about its follow-up, "Wasp Star"; to me, the album is just too happy, and a little bit smug. I mean, I'm glad that Andy and Colin have found satisfaction and contentment as middle-aged cult heroes, but it seems like some of the band's best work has come from challenging situations, like dealing with producer Todd Rundgren's standoffish, autocratic attitude while making "Skylarking." And I really miss the encyclopedic, tasteful virtuosity that Dave Gregory brought to the band. It's good to see XTC changing and still going at it after all these years, though.

David Mochen likes this.
  19. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I noticed no one mentioned the album English Settlement. Quite a masterpiece. As for style and origin, they have always been a quirky brand of pop. The cool thing about pop is that it steals mercilessly from everything, transcending all of the categories we humans like to store things in. Actually, XTC is one of those bands that I tend to listen to as a whole, not really picking out the bass line. It works better that way.

20. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    actually, Terry Chambers quit in 1983 or so--the Dukes' first record was done two years later, after they had released Mummer and The Big Express.

also, they couldn't get a real vintage 4-track recorder for the Dukes sessions, so they used the 32-track at the studio in the 60's manner: record four tracks, mix them down, repeat the process.

and Song Stories is a great book about XTC. I got it for Christmas and read the whole thing in a matter of days.

by the way, I'm a big XTC fan. could you guess? Colin's a great bass player. by the way, he used the Wal bass pretty much exclusively from The Big Express ('84) to Nonsuch ('92). he recently got a Vox Apollo bass that he uses now.