1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coliseum 300 volume issues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Incarnate365, Sep 17, 2008.

1. So I just brought this head home today-

2862511245_9c409ba857.

And it sounds awesome, but running it through my Ampeg 8x10 it's really just not that loud. I A/Bed with my older Sunn Colisuem (the wide chassis one) and with everything at 10 the 300 is not even close to the Coliseum on with its volume on 4.

Any clue what this could be? Is the head just not that loud (I'm running it at 4ohms) or is there something wrong with it possibly?

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Those older ones were sometimes an easy fix. Play it for a while to heat things up, then physically touch each power transistor. The ones that don't almost fry your hide, are burnt out, and need replacement. Nothing more than a screwdriver , in most cases.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I had one and was kinda disappointed in the volume. If I recall, it's 300 watts @ 2ohms. Isn't it 180 @ 8, 240@4 and 300@ 2?

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Yes, I think your right, Big power at the time. Not so much today. I had the Acoustics, a 360 and a 370. Both were just OK. Not the big power like I have today,thats for sure.

5. I used to run the exact same rig into an Ampeg 8x10. Not that loud at all. No surprise to me.
    And I'm pretty sure Stinsok is correct on the output ratings.

Heck, I might still have a manual around for that amp!

6. xdsummersx

xdsummersx

Oct 21, 2007
    saw you mention this on the b9 thread, i actually just bought one of these as well have not recived it yet, but wish i would of saw this before i purchased it, now im worried it wont be loud enough for me...

7. I used one w/a Peavey 2x15 years ago & wooped up on a mean guitarist & loud drummer. I 'replaced' it w/a SWR-350 & 6x10, then replaced the 350 w/the 750, then dumped it all & got an SVT-3pro/BSE-4x10hlf. I think the Sunn/Peavey rig was actually the loudest.

8. xdsummersx

xdsummersx

Oct 21, 2007
    this gives me some hope then, should get mine in a few days and will let you know how it compares.

9. Please do. I feel that for an amp that runs at 2ohms, it should be a lot louder. Who would power 2ohms worth of cabs if the head wasn't that loud? I plugged it into another 4ohm cab I have lying around for ***** and giggles, a Peavey 1820 (2x10 + 1x18) and it still wasn't that loud.:meh:

Obviously, loudness is totally subjective, but I had EVERYTHING dimed, and it really didn't seem like I would hear myself over a drummer/guitar player.

My other Coliseum is literally the loudest thing I have ever heard. I dunno, I'll get it looked at tomorrow and report back. I really feel like something is wrong.