1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Collage after 20 years?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Pbassred, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Actually since 1979. I've played mostly pop/rock. I don't read. To keep things fresh I was concidering lessons, however I'm realy looking to steer towards soul rnb styles and since there is so much rock and guitarists-who-play-bass about, I am worried about finding somone really suitable.
    There are a few modern music schools around so I might try there.

I big question is; will I learn enough to justify it? How many here have actually taken lessons beyond basics?

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    A teacher will go further than a class. I'm taking a theory class next quarter (starting tomorrow) and for how long I'll be taking it, how much I'm paying, and what I'm learning, I could have (and have) learned it all in half the time from my teacher. The only reason I'm taking it is to memorize things like key signatures, intervals, chords, etc. Things I normally don't have the motivation to do on my own.

Your best bet would be to ask each potential teacher what their credentials are, experience on the bass, whether they can teach you soul/rnb stuff. It's not all the same, so if someone tells you "oh yeah, I can teach anything" it's not true. Soccer invovles running and kicking a ball, but it's a lot different than football. I'd look around for a good teacher first before deciding on college. But if that's all you got, then go for it.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    You'll go through the same process outlined above in college. Music school is really for networking if you're in it for performance. Also, the quality of teachers you can find at music school is often way higher than your hometown. I'm taking lessons from Paquito de Riviera's bass player now, and I've taken from guys who have played with Miles, Wayne Shorter, etc.

edit: Oh yeah, and in my experience, classes with more than one bass player have been a total waste of time. The teacher has to cater to the lowest common denominator, and that can get pretty damn low.

4. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Lesson are good with the right teacher. Schools like Berklee, MI, North Texas State are good for the environment they provide. The bottom line is you they offer the information and playing opportunities, but you have take advantage of them. Just doing the schools curriculum will only teach you the basics, you have to go to open counsulings, ask questions, play in every opportunity you can. That is where the real education happens. Otherwise you're wasting your money. A good music school you will learn more than teacher can because school becomes your life and you eat, breathe, and talk music for a year or more. Teacher can work as well if you go out and find others to hang out and play with.

Good luck,

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You can always sign up for a class at a college... Sign up for a music band class of some kind... that would give you more "real world playing" then a teacher in a room...

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    A collage after 20 years can be pretty interesting, it all depends on how it's done.

7. mantelclock

mantelclock

Jul 19, 2005
    I'll start by saying that a music school is only as good as the students that it attracts. You can teach yourself theory and you can learn technique by studying with a private teacher and practicing really hard, but as you all probably know, you learn how to play when you play with other people, especially with people who are more accomplished than you. So what really makes a music school a good place to learn is the opportunity to meet, play with, and listen to a lot of really good musicians. The other advantage of a music school is that you are exposed to forms of music that you would not necessarily listen to on your own. I attended Berklee and Oberlin in the 70's, and believe me, I learned much more about performing from my student peers than I did in class. You should have heard the sounds that came out of the ensemble rooms in the basement of 150 Mass Ave...

8. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I'd cast my vote for finding a really good private teacher who teaches in the styles you want to learn. Ask around and try a few teachers 'til you find one that feels right to you.

I also agree with the importance of playing out often with others. Find jam sessions in the styles you are interested in playing. Hang with people who play those styles. They are usually more than happy to assist an interested fellow player.

Also take some theory classes at a local college if you feel the need to learn about the mechanics of music. It'll fill out any gaps your private instructor might not show you.