Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Collapsable Hand Truck - Lowe's and GC any difference?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IvanMike, Jan 27, 2005.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    just a query

lowe's has a collapsable hand truck almost identical in appearance to the one GC and other music supply houses sell for 100-150 bucks. lowe's costs 40 bucks. lowe's is rated for 200 lbs, i think the gc one might eb for 250 lbs, but maybe that's the higher priced one from another music supply house

so is there a real difference? or are we being taken to the cleaners?????

2. I think it's all advertising. "Just because it's bright yellow means it must be better than plain grey one at lowes"
    I've got a $40 lowes hand cart. It does what it was made to do. Same idea as stock brake pads for a car $20, Same brake pads with neon paint on the back $60.
    This is not scientific proof I'm providing, just my best guess. For all I know, the music store one uses "grade 5, triple coated heat treated re-enforced bolts" :meh:

3. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's what i'm thinking
    sam ash told me that on accessories they make twice or thrice the wholesale cost of items.
    here's another example - you can get a dual 48" shop light for about 15 bucks or less. a dual 48" light for an aquarium might be 60 bucks or more. it's in a nice plastic case which probably adds all of a buck to manufacturing cost. but because it's specifically for an aquarium it costs four times as much.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The standard "expensive" one is the Wesco, a knockoff of a nice German one, maybe the Magliner? I bought one priced like the Lowe's deal; it's OK, and a bit more compact than the Wesco. The Wesco has pneumatic tires though, which would be good. Are the Lowe's ones solid or pneumatic? You can get the Wesco for about 85 bucks from some eBay stores, and I kinda wish I'd just done that. However, any hand truck is a huge bonus, and my 40 bucks was certainly not wasted.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    if it's the one that i'm thinking of, i bought mine from lowes...these trucks can't handle 200lbs.

i got a nice hand truck, with a Quick Lok name on it, from a music store for about 20 bucks....i can put up to about 120lbs on it very easily.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    +1
    They might be able to handle a 100lb load, but definitely not 200. They're not bad for the price, but they aren't the sturdiest things around. I have one, and I like it. But, I'm not lugging around an 8x10 either.

7. Passinwind

That's the German one I was thinking of. Guess I'll have find someone to buy my cheapie, shouldn't he too hard. Nothing like a TB-induced "upgrade". :cool:

8. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I bought a Rock Cart at GC. I love it.

9. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Years ago I got one of those hand trucks that has the handle that converts to a cart configuration by pulling a couple of pins, but doesn't fold. I think I got it at northern Hydraulics. I threw the handle away and what's left will easily carry 200 lbs and it fits in car trunks. Here is how I see this folded up thing; It takes up more room folded than unfolded. unfolded it's an "L" shaped thing that wraps around stuff taking very little extra room. Folded it's a square thing that has the same weight/volume but in a less pratical shape for storage.

10. Passinwind

Maybe for you, but in my van the difference is huge when the type I have is folded up. It's 2 feet shorter, and I can put mike stands or my EUB stand right on top of it after I lay it flat. My setup in the van isn't necessarily typical though, since it's set up with compartments under a platform, predicated on storage of some kooky sports items. :cool:

11. I have the lows cart and I use it to haul around an 100 pound rack. I took this thing off roading to get to my car and it seems to have held up fine. The professional one is basically the same design, why would it work any better? This thing is certianly saving my back some trouble.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd look at Kart-a-Bag. Had one for over twenty years and it's still going strong. Easily handles the weight you mentioned and fold up small.

13. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Don't forget the automotive stores. I bought a folding cart from a local store for $35. It holds @250lbs and I can stack my whole rig on it. One trip for the rig, one trip for my bass and gig bag and I'm done.

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    smash, the extra long series makes good sense. any thoughs on the stainless steel version vs the standard?

i'm really not too lazy to pick up my stuff (it's all light) but the idea of being able to put my two cabs and my rack on the thing and bring that and my bass in all in one trip is alluring. (plus i always get bamboozled into brining in pa stuff, guitar amps, drums, etc) :rolleyes:

15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    If I may suggest an alternative--the handtruck I use is a non-folding, bare-bones affair, the cheapest of the lot at Home Depot. It's got green textured paint over metal tube and is about three feet high. Moves 300 pounds no prob, weighs about six pounds, stands about 3.4 feet high. Cost: $11.99 on sale.

Sturdy. Cheap. Practically disposable. I'm SO glad I didn't spend more--there's no need to!

16. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    unfortunately phunky, space is at a premium. i 1st got turned on to these when my drummer bought a lowe's version. the completely flat folding concept is the only thing having me consider buying a hand truck for gigs. there are even semi-collapsable hand trucks around that i won't consider because they don't go completly flat.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here's a question for you guys-what's the best way you've found for moving heavy cabs up and down stairs? At this point, I've been turning my cab sideways and slowly sliding it down stairs (carpeted ones anyway) just to avoid getting another hernia.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

My Kart-a-Bag handcart rated at 300 lb. fits in my Miata... along with my basses, cab, gigbag and amp. One trip load-in.

:D

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    What kind of cab? My handcart has sliders on the back that allow it to slide down each riser. Way easier than picking a cab up. It also has a long handle so you don't have to bend over too far when doing this.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    An 85lb 4x10, 27"x25"x17". You can see why I don't enjoy taking it up a flight of stairs.