1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Collecting gear you don't need, anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basscooker, Aug 27, 2012.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i have been. this is one example of my ocd let run rampant:

388d9832.

i don't even really play guitar very well...
    :confused::rollno::scowl::eyebrow::help:

2. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    Yeah...

buying just to have enough time to try something out...
    "hey, Westbury M1000 is not at all like a fender twin"
    "so that's what a 360/370 cab sounds like...who woulda thunk it"

Buying just to complete a set..
    "I've got a gretsch duojet, country gentleman, and drumkit...wonder what's on tv"

In case it comes back in style...
    "I've got the pre-midi controller...now I just need the synth..and its din connector"

it's got switches, instead of knobs...
    "I'm going to play my hagstrom through my 60s orange...don't try to stop me"

If you're sick of craigslist, do not click that link..it's full of, "it had 'bass' in the name"

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/msg/3231344859.html

3. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Yup, as a poor student, it's a constant battle between GAS and not enough money/space.

Btw Arsonaut, welcome to TB, you seem to be off to a good start. Seems like every thread I've seen today ends with a post by you... :)

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I bet if someone stole one of those you wouldn't even notice. :)

I'd say I have about 6 basses I simply can't part with, that I never touch anymore. Some multieffects, synths and keyboards too. One day.

5. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    what can I say, I'm just scaring them away...

back in the early aughts, I posted as sunn880.
    Been real busy, the past ten years.

6. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    That's a pretty impressive set of amps you got there!

I'm kinda like that too. There are some instruments that I don't use anymore, but I keep them around anyways. I still have my el cheapo bass, even though now I play a Fender Power Jazz Special. Or I have all these small guitar amps that I used when I first started playing guitar. I still have my very first electric guitar, which I use as decoration because it's covered with stickers.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Hi, my name is Dave and I'm a gear addict.

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I've tried to force myself lately to be better with selling some gear that I no longer need. It's a tough battle LOL! I've taken a hiatus from playing out at the larger clubs to do recording and some coffeehouse gigs. I decided I wanted a 1-15 for some variety from my 112. I liked the 15 so what did I do? Of course, I bought the second 115.

9. deshi00

deshi00

Mar 26, 2010
    columbus ohio
    Yeh not quite as bad as you though, but I just 90's ampeg portaflex 15" cab for no reason other than it was cheap. I already have a 4x10 cab and a 15. I have 4 basses now. 2 get played on a regular basis, one is my first bass the finish on the neck is cracked, and an Ibanez Artcore which i havent sold for some reason, I just like the look of it too much. oh yeh, forgot about the Fender ABG, which gets played late night or anytime i need to be quiet. Hmm also not needed but i have 3 acoustic guitars, 1 main player, 1 beater, 1 12-string. 2 electrics, my epi les pual and a squier strat i got for free. and my fender hotrod deluxe amp. hmm i have a cheap uke i bought for no apparent reason. And oh yeh my les pual mini from when i was a kid.

So yeh i guess im collecting gear for i dont need. although i know im not as bad as many on here

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Do picks count?

Anytime I go to my local shop they got Pikboys, Dava, Clayton you know al the cool gimmicky picks? I can't stop myself from getting handfulls. I drop like $5 on picks everytime I go.

The bad part?
    I only use Dunlop Tortex, and Nylons.
    The other picks ae collecting dust and I'm running out of places to put 'em.

11. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    You know you've got a problem when you're running out of space to put picks... I swear I've lost hundreds of those things and I can never find them. I just drop em and they're gone forever. Pretty sad actually...

12. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    what's the best pick to lose playing metal?