1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

College Amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JesusMetalFunk, Mar 9, 2013.

1. JesusMetalFunk

JesusMetalFunk

Aug 11, 2011
    Dear Talkbass,

I read much more than I post especially lately, but for college I will need an amplifier that would suit all sorts of my needs, I will detail them below, and provide some background. I have another post in in miscellaneous about security of that kind of stuff, if you want to help over there.

Amps I have currently- Hartke Hydrive 1*15 combo, this was the best sounding amp in the store when I got it several years ago. It is too bulky, and while I am a strapping young man, I couldn't effectively move it through campus for my needs. Next amp- starter ibanez amp that I think maybe be broken.

Amp I'm looking for. Smaller practice style. W/ a good/decent. Great would be desired, but I can't have everything. Also a headphone jack would be nice.

Rooming in an honors dorm at a large state university with a kid I sit next to in calculus. Any advice you have concerning the bass would be appreciated. Majoring in business/ economics for those interested.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    A good pair of comfortable, sealed headphones will help you differentiate the tonal qualities while auditioning amps. You have to set your limits, at times through the speaker, at times through the cans. In a dorm room, it is good to take into account the area under the cabinet to minimize the footprint. Integrating all this makes me think that you should check out an Ampeg BA series BA-108 or BA-110.

...couldn't resist the calculus puns. :p

3. Make sure you get an amp with an aux-in and headphone jack. The aux-in feature comes in handy to hook up an ipod or something.