College amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McCalister999, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Well, next year is college, and I need to start looking for a small amp. Any suggestions on a dorm-sized, low watt amp under or around $1000?
    Sorry if a similar post has already been made, I couldn't find it.
  2. I took my 8x10 to my dorm room and put it in the closet, then again I guess I manged to relocate 2/3 of my band to the same city so we still played regularly.
  3. I mostly want a good amp for practicing by myself purposes. Just a quality sounding amp with low wattage for my own pleasure.
  4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    SWR Baby Bass Blue is incredible. One of the better bass combo amps ever made, and costs around $800.
  5. I really liked the SWR workingman's 12 and 10 combos.
  6. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Well, the Baby Blue is indeed very nice (I've been playing a Bassic Black for years).

Recently though I've become infatuated with a Phil Jones Briefcase - its about one quarter the size and a third the weight of my SWR. The tone is very hi-fi (you have to like clean). Has headphone out, too.

Its just under $600, depending the deal you may find.

I'd say it'd be great in a dorm room. :cool:
  7. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yorkville Sound XM50C-50 watts, 1-10", 31 lbs and sounds great for less than $300 US. I paid $340 Can for one a few weeks ago. Great little amp, louder than anything similar on the market and sounds very good. Reliable and a great warranty. You spend $300 or less for one of these and you've got $700 left over for beer.

Seriously though, for what you say you'll use it for, the Yorkville is hard to beat. It even has a line out to run through a PA if you get the chance and a headphone out for quiet practice.
  8. I'm fond of my Fender Frontman 25B. It gives me exactly what I'm looking for, especially with boosted mids.
  9. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    One of the Ampeg Portabass combos, or a SWR Super Redhead (used).

(My reasoning behind these are that they are both very suitable to play in a band with. As a fellow college student, and a bass player, you will meet other people, and they will beg you to jam with them. We are a rare breed, although not as much in college than in other places. However colleges also have a plethora of guitar players and drummers.)

I have a full stack at someone else's place and that's where we practice.
  10. I have my Peavey Firebass 700 and Avatar 212 here at college with me. I left the 410TX at the drummer's house. Just put a plastic table cloth over a cab and bang, instant table/night stand.
  11. For a college dorm room, space is at a premium. I'd be more likely to recommend the Tascam BT-1, the cd player with built in bass input. Lets you play along to cd's or on your own, has metronome built in. Only thing is it only drives headphones, but its the size of video tape. If you're gonna be playing out, leave the amp at the practice location.

12. a KBA16 (not sure how much, but I got one from ebay for 35 quid so...)

Quality tone, small, not too loud for your neighbours, cheap... - what more could you want from a practice amp? (guess your just gonna be practicing by yourself and not with a band...? - if your gonna be with a band this one or this one may be better...) :cool: :bassist:
  13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I also have one of these (KBA 16) and it's a great little amp, but bang for the buck, the Alesis Bassfire 60 wins out for sure. I have yet to find a better amp value for under $200 shipped anywhere and I have looked and listened high and low. Not only does it have a 12" speaker (a pretty good one at that), but it's 60 watts (a strong 60 watts) and has built in amp and cab modeling, a built in tuner, compressor, limiter, effects, etc, etc, etc. It's one REAL mean practice amp that can hang with fairly loud practices. I've been through and tested TONS of gear in my 20+ years of playing and this piece is the best $144 (I got mine as an open box special for that price including shipping!) I've ever spent!!!!!

14. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ

Totally spaced that. Two deep, powerful 5" drivers. Incredible amp, this or the SWR will make you very happy.
  15. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    You could find a nice preamp that gives you the tone you are looking for, then get a small power amp and maybe a 1x10" or something. That way you'll have the tone you want in your dorm and if you jam with some people just get a bigger power amp/cab.

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Get a Cafe Walter headphone amp, some sennheiser 555s, and an Ipod. The only problem is that you'll never be satisfied with the sound of a regular amp again :eek: The Cafe Walter sounds amazing.
  17. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Behringer BX300 and a Tascam CDBT, plug pack (wall wart) and some headphones. You don't need any more for a bedroom only practice rig. Maybe $US300 total.

Spend the rest on more amusing entertainment.