College and GPA

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Insomniac, Jan 19, 2003.

1. well im a Sophomore in High scool and i was wondering where everyone went(or is going) to college and what sorta GPA they came out of high scool with....thanks!
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I am currently at UMass Lowell. I believe I graduated high school with a 3.4 or 3.5.
  3. I'm currently attending the University of Missouri - Columbia, and I graduated high school with a 4.3 GPA (on a 4 point scale).
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    attending UW-Madison and graduated with a 3.880
  5. High School GPA - 0.0
    SAT - 800
    GED - No high school diploma
    B.A. - Sonoma State University, Psychology
    Minor - Management
    M.A. - Organization Development

Heck, I GED out before my junior HS year and went to the J.C. When my HS class graduated with a High School Diploma, I was graduating with a Associate of the Arts Degree and transferring as a Junior to the Universtiy.

One way to skip all that BS is to go to the 2 year College that has a direct transfer relationship with the University you plan on graduating from.

For instance...
    If you want to go to Norte Dame in Indiana.
    Tough School to get into?
    Not if you enroll in the nieghboring J.C. that has a credit transfer agreement with the University. They'll take ANYBODY, just get all your transferrable GE credits finished at a fairly decent average and then transfer to Norte Dame as a Junior and finish up the required courses for your major.

Result: Degree from Top University for almost half the price.

This can work with any major University in the country. Getting in directly out of High School is another thing.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Attending San Francisco State University after University of California in Davis. Graduated high school with a 3.65.
  7. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I had a 3.0 exactly. I am not a genius but it got me into school.
  8. I attend Penn State (University Park) had a 3.8 or 3.9 in high school, can't remember which. I think 3.8.

I remembered reading about a test that has seemed to have good results in predicting how you'll fare in college. It has limitations, and is intended for juniors/seniors, but I googled for the link and came up with it:

In any case, you have lots and lots of time :)
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Colorado University @ Denver..graduated with a 3.65...I'm keeping a 3.58 in college, woohoo!
  10. High school GPA varies dramatically depending on the high school. Smarter people don't always have higher GPA's; in fact, in HS most brilliant people are simply bored by the work in the first place. I was, and I'm not even brilliant.

I had like a 3.91 or so. Many other factors are taken into consideration, some more important than grades at some schools (namely mine, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and others).

There was a thread on what people thought was most important for college. Search for it.
  11. mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    highschool gpa - honestly don't remember; something in the top 10%

SAT's what got me in - 1300

going to the university of north texas for science; got a b.s. in biochemistry, workin on an m.s. in biology with a focus on neuroscience; needless to say, bass playing improves when you're surrounded by students who can give you lessons...
  12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    High School dropout. School Counselor advised I was ready for college courses, but apparently didn't realize that state (Texas) law keeps non-grads out of state funded schools until age 19. Gave me a good couple of years to do drugs and get in trouble. Got most of that out of my system, then attended various state schools in Texas, finished up at Lamar University with a 3.7 GPA.

Leader of my last band dropped out of college as a sophomore or so and played in bands for ten years. Returned to finish his degree and stayed for his Ph.D. When I met him he was an assistant professor in the English department at Lamar.

I'm not suggesting that dropping out is for everyone, but I have no regrets.
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    GPA has very little to do with how smart you are.
  14. lets see....high school now, 11th grade, top 5%, 4.14. ACT=28, im working for a 32, considering my folks said if i get a 32 on my ACT, i can have ANY bass i want. and yes that includes Fodera, or Conklin. you name it.....its good to be me :D :D :D
  15. Here at Cornell, I have found GPA is much more of a function of work done than intelligence.

And just in general, GPA doesn't measure intelligence.
  16. evilbob101, it is FAR MORE SATISFYING when you earn that Fodera or Conklin yourself...
  17. I have a 2.8 or so. I will tell you were I am going some time around April, once I know.
  18. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I seriously graduated HS with like 1.5 (graduated 2 months late).. college right now.. i have 2.7 or somethin.. im stupid and a sucky bassist

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Well, I'm a senior with a 3.5. I got accepted to Baylor University, but I'm pretty sure what got me in is my ACT score (31). I also got a pretty decent scholarship too:)
  20. I graduated #1 in my class with a 4.0. I didn't get a bass from my parents, but I did get a full scholarship to my school, McDaniel College. Which is still kinda nice, although a bass would have been better :) .