Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

College Audiotions

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by b0nes83, Feb 26, 2004.

1. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    here's the thing, i am now auditioning at crane in a little over a week and i had a quick question. I have been practicing my sonata sitting down on a stool. Would it be a problem if i played sitting rather then standing for the audiotion, or is that not looked upon bye the judges? thanks. Chad

2. Ultimately, since your audition is so close, go with comfort level. I would say since you have been preparing seated, you ought to remain seated until after your audition, if you elect to change to standing.
    The committee should not have any issue with your position, unless they feel that it is contributing against your overall sound, perhaps. I, a stander, have been criticized for a lack of a free, open, loud tone, and particular critics attribute it to my standing. They see it much harder to "lay into" the bass with the right arm, and suggest that sitting would resolve this issue. However, my teacher, a stander, feels that standing is active position, therefore an active sound occurs. Upon my own experience, I feel less confined while standing and much more involved. And I don't have to worry about carrying a stool! The committee may or may not find any of these issues in your sound and approach, so ultimately it is up to you, and best of luck.

3. I don't think it matters much. I think at the college level a player who plays seated might be seen as slightly more advanced, since most people start out standing, but then it seems also that advocates of standing are pretty opposed to sitting, so they might object. I'd say overall they're going to care more about the sound you produce than the technique you use to get it though so don't worry about it.

4. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    well the audition is this staurday and im going to be playing with the stool. i hope all goes well and i get into the program. i will let you all know how it went early next week. wish me luck. bye bye. Chad

5. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    Sitting on a stool wont look bad to the college panel..
    Its miss spelling the word "Audition" that might put you on the wait list.
    "College Audiotions" :spit:

6. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [i am now auditioning at crane in a little over a week

Crane? Where is that?

7. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    What happened. Care to tell us about it ?

8. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    ok ok ....sorry about the miss spelling. im a music major not an english major. the audition at the Crane school of music, in Potsdam New York, went well. I played 2 movements of the Marcello sonata. The committee consisted of the Violin and the Viola professor's. I have played it better then how i did there and also nerves kind of came up on me, but i felt that i played it well enough to get into the program there. i will here back from them in about a week or two, i will post to let you know what the answer is. later. Chad

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
  10. Hey Chad, did you sit, or stand, and was there any comment from the committee? Wish you the best!

11. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    well i got in, they took me as a 5th semester transfer. and i got to talk to the bass instructor yesterday and sit in on one of there performance classes. it was very exciting and now i know what to look forward to and practice for this coming september. later
    Chad