College Audition Songs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey guys

I have an Audition at Humber College May 10th, and here are my song choices. One Classical, One Jazz.

Classical : Violoncello Solo Suite 1- Bach
    Jazz: Teen Town- Weather Report

I'm debating between "Teen Town" and "The Chicken" I'm bringing a drummer as my accompianist. I've already called and made sure it's all okay.

What do you guys think? I'm using my fretted for the Cello Suite, and my fretless for the Jazz.

Comments? Concerns? Suggestions?

2. Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Do whatever you want, just make sure you nail it. And make sure your theory is down, too. Know all your modes as well as treble clef and bass clef.

It's more impressive if you memorize the tunes, but if you need a chart, you won't lose marks or anything.

Go in feeling comfortable with everything. Take a deep breath, and play as though you were practicing in your bedroom.
  3. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Teen Town is not considered jazz, it's fusion. Play a swing tune or a bebop tune. Preferably a Parker head, one chorus walking, one chorus soloing, head out. That will show that you can not only learn a very technical melody, but improvise over changes as well. Teen Town just shows you learned a Jaco tune.

Sorry to sound like an ass. But these things, ime, are true.
  4. DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    I Agree with Snarf :)

I would choose a Parker head...and since most of his heads are based of changes to old standards learn the old standard and either play that as the head in or out. When i was Auditioning for Manhattan School of Music as a jazz major I had a lesson with one of the judges on the Audition panel a week before, that was the advice he gave me, and I got in :)

Plus....Jaco is so overplayed that they'll want to hear something that took some creativity and shows that you know music...not just bass players
  5. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    That too. Big +1 on that.
  6. Jeez, your gonna do Teen Town to get into college? - I'll tell ya now, if you can play that stuff BEFORE you go there you'll get through EASILY!

(I'm graduating this year and I'm just about to start learning it)