Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

College auditions/applications

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by hoedown_j, Sep 4, 2005.

1. hoedown_j

hoedown_j

Mar 3, 2005
    So I'm a senior in high school this year, and I would like to get into music in college. I'm not sure if I really want to major in it, I just want to be able to take maybe a couple music classes and play in a jazz band or combo during college. I will most likely be attending the University of Washington. I have no clue what I'm supposed to do for auditions and things like that. I'm not too experienced, I've been playing DB for a year and a half without much guidance as far as lessons go. My bowing is terrible, I'll admit that. I'm just much more into jazz. I've played electric bass for almost 7 years now though so I know a bit of theory and can read music well. Can some of you guys maybe help me out and tell me where to start, maybe give me a link that will help?

2. You might find something useful here.

3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    You sound like you're in the same spot I was when I started college, though I had played for only 2 years or so when I started school. As far as auditions go, I guarantee there will always be a need for bassists, so you should have no trouble passing an audition. Brush up on your major/minor blues tunes (Au Privave, Mr. P.C., etc.) and something like Autumn Leaves. If you can walk in 2 in a passable fashion, you should be golden for an audition. Hang around the department and get to know folks early on. Establishing a presence and showing enthusiasm is half the game with getting settled in the music scenes in universities.

4. hoedown_j

hoedown_j

Mar 3, 2005
    Yeah I checked out that whole site site last night, it's kind of confusing though what applies to music majors and what applies to non-majors. Thanks. :bassist:

5. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I would inform you there are way better music programs for jazz and modern music at Mt Hood Community College in Portland or CWU in Ellensberg.

Udub has a good classical program. Better school for engineering, medical, forestry.

If unsure of a major you don't have to declare one right away. Take a couple of years and check out a bunch of stuff. And you can always minor in music. My advice would be to take as much theory as you can now that you have the chance!

my .02 good luck, have fun and huck the fuskies

6. hoedown_j

hoedown_j

Mar 3, 2005
    Alright guys thanks. I'm considering resuming lessons, but I'm not sure how busy my schedule will be this fall.

I know CWU and Mt Hood have good music programs, but I'm most likely going to major in something engineering or medical related, and looking forward to the whole "big college" experience if you know what I mean.