Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

College, bass and engineering... Oh my!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by driverfound, Feb 20, 2004.

1. driverfound

driverfound

Feb 5, 2004
    NY
    I am about 40 miles from NYC and was looking for opinions on technical/engineering colleges in the area (within up to 200 or so miles from here). I pretty much open for colleges/universities, with the exception of NYC.

I am interested in EE or CE.

I was thinking about Boston for BU there, but was wondering if any Talk Bass'ers in the NY, NJ, CT, VT area knew of any nice colleges or could offer opinions about the school they are attending!

I look forward to hearing from you guys! :hyper:

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I go to the University of Virginia and will be graduating this May with a degree in electical engineering. it's a great school with a great reputation and a lot of culture. It's a bit out of your 200 mile radius, but I know a few people from NY who go here and they say the drive's not so bad.

A little bit closer to you is Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), another good school. Penn State and Rutgers might be a couple of schools worth looking into also.

3. driverfound

driverfound

Feb 5, 2004
    NY
    Phat Ham:

How is the EE program at the University of Virginia? I am interested in becoming an EE also. Do you find the professors (for the most part) are good teachers there? What is the workload like in the EE program?

Thanks for taking time to respond!

4. I don't know which direction you are from NYC, but I think NYC isn't all that far from Lehigh , which is a great engineering school.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Notice that different colleges differ quite much in their facilities; what might be a good school for Construction Engineering might not be the best for Electrical.

So it would probably help if you could list in what fields are you interested in.

Another good idea might be contacting student tutors of the school and asking them - they can be found at various Education Expos too.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

You should remove the part regarding the amp question and repost that part in the amps forum, you will get better answers there. OT is for non music related discussion. Please edit your original post.

Thanx
    Odie

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    While you can find better EE programs out there, the one here is definitely in the top tier of Universities. One of the cool things about UVa is every single class is taught by a professor, and no classes are taught by a TA.

Most of the professors in the EE program are good teachers. There are a few that you'd probably want to avoid if possible, but overall the faculty is pretty good.

The workload in EE is horrible. If you're not prepared to spend long hours in the lab or doing a problem set then EE is not for you. But that's the price you have to pay to be an EE.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My old man and sister hold ME paper from Rutgers and recommend it highly. My old guitarist graduated EE from there too... but I haven't heard from him since the summer he graduated. I was gonna hit Stevens tech over Rutgers (EE or CS... mostly unsure) but that whole "Gen-X slacker / druggie / musician" thing got in the way :meh:

now I'm a bass playin' Computer Geek :bassist: (sober 10+ years now... even kicked the cigs in 2001)